Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
237 Posts
The balljoints PRESS out the bottom of the arms. Make sure you support the arm correctly (a large dia chunk of pipe will work that's just larger than the balljoints bottom) and press on the balljoint body only, otherwise you run the risk of distorting the hole or worse... cracking the arm~

The only safe way I know is to use a hydraulic press, though I know a few yard mechs that used BFH's... If in doubt take them and have it done for a few bucks by someone with the tools.

· Registered
2,029 Posts
Tighten the LCA down with some wood to protect the finish of the arms in a nice, well anchored vice. Swing the BFH right on the center of the LBJ, spindle side (threaded end). It should not take more than a couple decently heavy swings to break them out. If you don't have access to a press to get them in, it's very similar for installation, you just need to find a socket big enough to fit the diameter and depth of the threaded end and another socket to keep from mashing the grease zerk end.

I was able to source a press for installation, just ensure you have everything lined up for the new BJ or this could happen to your new BJ!!

Another good option is to rent a ball joint tool (front end service tool) that comes with several different steel spacers and a big C-Clamp to help press them on. Should be available at most auto parts chains that allow you to rent tools.

· Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Come on Mike, I need ya. It's only about a ten hour drive, six if you drive the Chevelle.
Good options and info guys, thanks! Decided I'm going to pay someone to put the new ones in but haven't decided about the removing. I might try it with these suggestions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.