Team Chevelle banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new Tremec TKX just before Christmas, I just put it in a couple days ago. I previously had a TKO in the car for a short while several years ago but I hated the gear ratios 3.27 1st gear sucked. I modified the floor some at that time but put it back to close the stock after I removed it. Putting this TKX in was much easier but if you have a stock floor it will at least need to be modified where the shifter box comes up in the floor. Make sure you turn the shifter around before you put the trans in, I didnt do it and had to do it the hard way after the trans was in ( I had help putting it in but they werent around when I realized I need to turn the shifter around). The stock type Muncie shifter handle hit the front of the console opening and it was just too far of a reach. I love the gear ratios in this one. 2.87 1st gear with .81 OD. at 80mph the engine is at 2400rpm..

But I need help with something. They sent a very nice white shifter ball that has the shift pattern on it and I want to use it but the thread is 3/8 but my aftermarket Muncie handle is 5/16. is there an adapter that will make it fit? I looked on Summit and Amazon but they dont have one that will fit (that I could find).
Thanks.

·
Gold Founding Member
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes just search “ shift ball adapter” on Google it’ll pull right up. You’re gonna love that TKX. What clutch/pressure plate combo did you use?
Im using the Centerforce clutch and pressure plate thats been in the car for a few years with the Muncie but is still in very good condition, it works really good.
The 2.87 1st gear is SO much better than the 2.20 that the Muncie had.

·
Premium Member
13,529 Posts
I bought a new Tremec TKX just before Christmas, I just put it in a couple days ago. I previously had a TKO in the car for a short while several years ago but I hated the gear ratios 3.27 1st gear sucked. I modified the floor some at that time but put it back to close the stock after I removed it. Putting this TKX in was much easier but if you have a stock floor it will at least need to be modified where the shifter box comes up in the floor. Make sure you turn the shifter around before you put the trans in, I didnt do it and had to do it the hard way after the trans was in ( I had help putting it in but they werent around when I realized I need to turn the shifter around). The stock type Muncie shifter handle hit the front of the console opening and it was just too far of a reach. I love the gear ratios in this one. 2.87 1st gear with .81 OD. at 80mph the engine is at 2400rpm..

But I need help with something. They sent a very nice white shifter ball that has the shift pattern on it and I want to use it but the thread is 3/8 but my aftermarket Muncie handle is 5/16. is there an adapter that will make it fit? I looked on Summit and Amazon but they dont have one that will fit (that I could find).
Thanks.
I know there is a 5/16 chrome shifter ball without numbers available. When I had my M21 and Hurst shifter it had a 3/8 fine thread handle on it so I had to acquire the 5/16 ball and drill/modify it. I have a repo Muncie handle on my Legend trans and it is 3/8.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I was excited to see your post. I have a TKX in my garage thats going I this winter at some point. happy to hear you love it. I hadn’t read about moving shifter on 68-72. You had to change to one of the other shifter locations? Did I read that right? Is it quiet? My Muncie doesn’t have the 26 spline shaft. I had to buy a new disc.

·
Gold Founding Member
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was excited to see your post. I have a TKX in my garage thats going I this winter at some point. happy to hear you love it. I hadn’t read about moving shifter on 68-72. You had to change to one of the other shifter locations? Did I read that right? Is it quiet? My Muncie doesn’t have the 26 spline shaft. I had to buy a new disc.
Yes I had to turn the shifter around. Just remove the 6 bolts, lift up the shifter, turn it around and align the ball with the other round hole in the trans and drop it in. I measured the shifter stalk on the Muncie and thought its only about a 1/2" different in the forward position but it was more than that, just wasn't comfortable and almost hit the dash. Turning it around made it just right. The Muncie that I had in the car was originally out of a 73 Camaro so it had the larger fine spline input. This transmission is very quiet, I don't hear anything out of it on the road. So far I am very happy with it.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
How did it go with adjusting the throwout bearing? I read that there was measuring of distance from the bellhousing to bearing depth? Was that necessary with your install? I’m getting a complete kit from American Powertrain…just wondering what the install will be like. Ty!

·
Gold Founding Member
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didnt have to adjust the throw out bearing. My car was already a stick so this one just bolted right up.

·
Gold Founding Member
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought mine from Silver Sport, for no particular reason. All the places including Summit sell the transmissions for the same price, the difference is in the accessories and "kits" and of course service after the sale.

·
Premium Member
13,529 Posts
and of course service after the sale.
For this aspect I highly recommend Jodys Transmissions or or 5speeds. One will realize the difference if and when there is an issue.

Reactions: bobm67

·
Gold Founding Member
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How did it go with adjusting the throwout bearing? I read that there was measuring of distance from the bellhousing to bearing depth? Was that necessary with your install? I’m getting a complete kit from American Powertrain…just wondering what the install will be like. Ty!
You are talking about the hydraulic clutch set-up, I used my mechanical linkage and CenterForce dual friction clutch.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
There are a couple detailed TKX installs, I had one setting up the hydraulic TOB with photos, it was posted about 9 months ago TKX swap was the thread name.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts