Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thank you all for your advise this project started in nov 07 it was a good learning . any ways my motor has been called a ls6 on steroids. i kept it stock looking except for the water pump went with aluminum team g , (i had to customize this pump to line up with my stock pwr steering. pulley) race rite bbc 119 oval , msd distributor. left every thing else stock even the valve covers. i just had to buy thick gasket to fit the roller rockers. i will get pictures later. it come out exactly what i was looking for good torq and a strong top end good all around power. 9.7 comp 160lbs comp. lights them up in all 3 gears but yet still pulls hard from 60 to 110mph. the cam is a hyd roller lun 50249 the piston are twr l2465f60. 1 3/4 headers shorty's patriots fit good. performer intake. 750 holley carb might need to go bigger carb. pulling 14 lbs vacuum at 1000 rpms the power brake work good but i would not go with a bigger cam if you want power brakes in a 468 4 speed. very good street manners. thanks for you all your help. ps i haven't dyno it yet but plan on doing so soon.

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
Need Pics!!!!!!!!!!!! :yes:

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Colngratulations!!

If you go bigger on the carb, and want to keep a "stock stealth" look and have performance to boot, I would HIGHLY recommend the Holley 80531 850vs that is used on the ZZ502. I have on on my 454, and it is awesome. That motor has a similar cam, [email protected], .572 lift. I wanted to keep it on that motor, and needed more flow for the new motor, so I went with a Demon 850vs for the 496 that I will fire up this week.

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
HI WALTER,i noticed you said you were going to fire up a new motor with a new demon carb and wanted to make a suggestion.

I see all the time here in t/chevelle people having trouble with most demons running fairly rich to very rich right out of the box fouling plugs etc and they have to do a lot of tuning to get them squared away.

With that said i would not use a demon carb that not been dialed in yet for a new motor setup fireup because it could run too rich hampering or down right stopping your ring breakin/seating if running too rich.

Some people say running rich cant hut ring breakin well i have seen over the yrs a few times where a rich mix does stop ring seating and the HASTINGS RIN site also states the same thing that an over rich mix can stop proper ring breakin/seal so to me it's a real issue.

If i were you i would run a carb thats known to run/work well for fireup and make sure the power valve in what ever carb you use is correct for the estimated idle/low speed vacuum your new motor ill have with the perf cams its tunning to ensure you dont get an over rich mix due to improper p/valve to cam vacuum match.

Scott

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
taking her to a dyno this Friday a chassis dyno any advise. i will be taking the distributor and the weights and springs. also how much do i lose at the rear wheels compared to a engine dyno this car is a 4 speed. thanks

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
taking her to a dyno this Friday a chassis dyno any advise. i will be taking the distributor and the weights and springs. also how much do i lose at the rear wheels compared to a engine dyno this car is a 4 speed. thanks
well got the dyno numbers at the rear wheel 400 hp at 5600 rpms 485 torg at 3500 rpms so am guess engine numbers around hp 520 585 torq about 13.5 air to fuel mix great street maners good pwer brakes. am happy with the results ps. if i went this full headers instead of shortys, ported out the rr oval, and have a airgap or vic jr. instead of a performer upped my carb to 1000 instead of a 750 with i will to pulling 600 plus hp. 625 torg. but i have a real ss with a cowl option and the performer fit the cowl setup i only had a 1/4 inch to spare..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts