Team Chevelle banner

Does anyone agree with me?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is it that makes these cars so valuable? I love them don't get me wrong. But I just dont see where a 70 malibu without an engine or transmission and missing an interior is worth over $2000. I have looked at production numbers on websites and the production for 70 two door malibus are well into the hundreds of thousands. And total production for the super sports in 1970 was somewhere around 57,000 if I remember right. I have grown up hearing all these stories about how cheap the cars were back in the 70's and into the 80's. I understand that some of the cars have been lost by being wrecked or just rotting away into nothing. But not all of them could have disappeared causing the prices to be driven up so high that average people cant afford them anymore. I just want to know what has happened in the last few years that has made these cars so valuable. And the fact that it seems most of the people who buy these "better than new" resorations just have them in a climate controlled garage and all they do is look at them. Besides in my opinion if you buy a project car and build it yourself the way you want it it would mean much more to you. They were built to be driven not just started at. I mean just a few months ago in the Albertsons parking lot a guy came up offering to buy the 70 SS that my dad bought brand new for over $7500 cash right then and there. The thing has parts on it from 5 or 6 different cars because it was wrecked back in 1980 and put back together. But if you do run the numbers they are all matching except for the engine , which he still has, and the frame. It has a non matching LS5 and M-22, bucket seats, the original dash with factory tach. I love this car but I could not believe that the car would be worth that much in the shape it was in, and the thing is from looking some more on the internet that price is low for that car. I mean what makes a rusted out shell cost more than the cars originally did from the factory. I know inflation and all that stuff but come on these things are just getting out of hand. I am only 17 and maybe im just not up on times but I just dont get it. I am not looking for a fight with anyone I just want to know what some of you think about my thoughts.

Also one more question is $800 a good price for an all original and complete 1970 Chevelle 4-door?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Here's a point to ponder-

Is an original Rembrandt, Picasso, Monet or DaVinci painting only worth $1.50 because that's the net worth of the materials it's made of?

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Join the crowd! Im 54 and I was around when these cars were only 2600 to 3600 new. I bought a few new ones back then too.I bought a 66 malibu a few months ago,13000,for a malibu!Get this,It cost me more to have it shipped to my house,775,than I paid for a 66 chevelle ss fully loaded car in 1969,I paid 600 for that car and today some bonehead would probobly give 50000 for it.Maby Im a bonehead too cause if I still had that car I wouldnt sell it for that.Anyways, I think its a nastalgia thing and alot of us older guys can afford it.Maby this chevelle thing is a sickness,my wife says it is.:beers:

·
Registered
978 Posts
If the four door is in decent shape,, jump on it. It be a great grocery getter. I don't know if they had hard top four door Chevelles in 70, but if that is,,I'd really jump on it.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
prices were driven by guys with a lot of money spending big bucks on cars they know nothing about for their kids.

from there it became a frenzy with the big dogs out doing each other to show folks just how well they can flaunt their war chest of cash. I love talking to them....."I restored it" yep they can name every guy they paid big dollars to
joe blow engine
John Public interior
Big Dawg front end
Big Daddy tranny
etc etc....."yep I have 100k in this car" I laugh as I walk away in disbelief they don't know a damn thing about the car. I know very little myself but I attempt to do each project myself.:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
It's my belief that alot of these cars, which at one time were deemed disposable are now making a comeback for probably several reasons.

For one alot of the buyers are (now) old farts trying to recapture their youth....

Then you have alot of TV celebrities driving old classics in movies, so there's another piece of influence IMO....

Now it seems to be some sort of national craze where everyone wants one....not sure where this one came from....maybe the older body styles are waaayyyy more appealing than all the aerodynamic half jap looking crap available today?

Now as to why they bring the ungodly ridiculous amounts of money they do these days, it's due to everyone wanting one....and for some they'll pay top dollar for one, even if it's more than what the car is worth.

One thing you gotta remember is value is in the eye of the buyer. You may not think that rusty hulk is worth $6k but Million dollar Tex sees it as nothing...

Very true many of the "non SS" cars have been cloned, and still folks are willing to pay to get one....

I remember 14 years ago my dad tried selling a real 68 SS Camaro with 400 sbc and 4 speed Muncie with 12 bolt for $8k and a 69 Nova grandma car fitting with a 350 and auto with bench for $5k....both were nicely done cars (no crap ass body work) but no biters....

If he tried that today at the same prices half the world would be at his door step....but as of now neither will ever be for sale...they're staying in the family now....so put your check books away. ;)

And as for your question of an all original 70 Chevelle 4 door for $800....if it's in fair shape I'd not be asking here....I'd be headed off to the bank!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Its Only Worth What The Buyer Is Willing To Pay, I Know A Guy Who Used To Own A 70 Ls6 :yes: And Now I Call Him Uncle Bob:p , Like I Said He Used To Own One :D I Am Probably The Poorest Guy On This Thread :mad: I Nor My Cars Are For Sale, My Two Car's Are My Only Asset Other Than My Family. People Are Really Funny, And Never Seem To Quit Amazing Me.:D i am a vey lucky and fortunate man. ok just half man cuz my girlfriend thinks i havn't grown up yet. hey i could be gone all the time playing golf, bowling, fishing, hunting, or at the booby bar. but nope not me i would rather have old hot rods and hot gal. and i got both, very lucky.:yes:

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the four door is in decent shape,, jump on it. It be a great grocery getter. I don't know if they had hard top four door Chevelles in 70, but if that is,,I'd really jump on it.
Yeah that is all it would be for right now. I plan on buying that thing just to have an american car with a v-8, and something that says 1970 Chevelle on the registration. But what I really want is at least a malibu 2-door but I am going to go after a super sport. Don't know how well that will go.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's a point to ponder-

Is an original Rembrandt, Picasso, Monet or DaVinci painting only worth $1.50 because that's the net worth of the materials it's made of?
That's not what I meant. I was just saying for the numbers of those cars that were made there is no reason for the prices to be as high as they are. And they shouldn't be treated the way they are they were built to drive.

·
Registered
862 Posts
That's not what I meant. I was just saying for the numbers of those cars that were made there is no reason for the prices to be as high as they are. And they shouldn't be treated the way they are they were built to drive.
i am just wondering if you gamble. if you do then you can spend 20 to 40 grand building a car of any kind. but the thing is, can you get your money back if need be. i will drive mine and believe in that. but i really cant afford for some jerk to run over me and not have insurance. that might pi$$ me off. they are expensive but also great investments. if you want it bad enough you will pay.:yes: :D :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I had the money to spend I probably would pay a little more. But seeing as im only 17 and not exactly raking in the dough. But I do plan on saving most of whatever I make for whenever that good deal comes along. But it is kind of frustrating seeing all these prices and then turning around and hearing a story about my dad buying an all complete 70 super sport that was all there except for the engine and transmission for $500 and that was even in the early to mid 80's.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I feel 2 things have driven the prices to stupid levels.

1. Barret Jackson auctions and stupid people with to much cash paying insane amounts for cars that arent worth close to what they paid!

2. EBAY more stupid people with more money than sense. Used to be swap meets were the place to go to find good parts,cars etc.. for a fair price now ebay has destroyed all that as most idiots selling at swaps now will say i can get that much for it on ebay etc..

One thing that has always killed me is the famous BS line (theres not many left anymore or their getting harder to find everyday) meanin the cars are dissapearing fast so you better just shut up and pay what im askin!! I have been hearin that since 1987 when i bought my first 68 camaro and yet there still around and with the net there are even more to find!?? Check ebay auctions this same line is used in like 7 out of 10 auctions!!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have been eyeing that car pretty close but the problem is right at the moment I have $15 on me. (not joking) But I do have a car that I am in the works of trying to sell. And I plan on just cashing all my pay checks and only spending what I need. Those two things would give a big boost to my bank account aka chevelle fund.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
you have the right idea of waiting for the great deal to come along!! Dont jump on the first one you see if you dont like it!! there are still good deals to be had!! No your not gonna find a 70 ss for 500 but you can find a 70-72 malibu 2 door without rust and running for 4-6 grand.
I bought my current malibu for 4800 with fresh paint new interior and all original sheetmetal (AZ) car just a year or 2 ago with a descent 350/350 in it. so keep your eyes open and dont buy the bs that you wont find another one cause you will!!!

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All I am really looking for is a 70-72 2 door that is basically complete. The engine and trans can be gone because I can come up with a drivetrain easily enough.

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
If I had the money to spend I probably would pay a little more. But seeing as im only 17 and not exactly raking in the dough. But I do plan on saving most of whatever I make for whenever that good deal comes along. But it is kind of frustrating seeing all these prices and then turning around and hearing a story about my dad buying an all complete 70 super sport that was all there except for the engine and transmission for $500 and that was even in the early to mid 80's.

Times have changed and the the days of finding a decent beater for under a grand are long gone....growing up in the early to mid 90's around my home I still remember a running 71 Malibu 2 door was for sale $500....then a girl I knew in school's mom was selling her 73-74 Nova 2 door $300.....then the local supermarket sales clerk sold a running 70 Nova 2 door str8 six for $500....a buddy of mine bought (before I met him in '95) a 70 Nova...supposedly an SS (but we never verified for sure) for $300, built an inline six, never got it on the road, ass end was wrecked....at the time I thought him restoring it was a joke b/c it was wrecked but he ended up selling it for $300.....now I'd be kicking him (he's already kicking himself) if he didn't keep it.....

Of course also back then gasoline was under $1.20 IIRC....

But these days you'd be hard pressed to find something like this for so little amount of coin....being 17 you've got your life ahead of you, now is the time you can get in college and get a helluva good paying job so you can be able to afford to shell out $10k for a pristine car....

Something else to consider too is the cost of labor/materials needed to restore a car has gone up....case in point my dad stopped doing body work for customers in 1986, last car he restored was my Nova in 1990-1991.....a year ago he was going to attempt to do some body work on his work truck................until he saw how the price of sand paper/paint/primer/body filler, etc. has jumped over the course of 15 years......

I feel 2 things have driven the prices to stupid levels.

1. Barret Jackson auctions and stupid people with to much cash paying insane amounts for cars that arent worth close to what they paid!

2. EBAY more stupid people with more money than sense. Used to be swap meets were the place to go to find good parts,cars etc.. for a fair price now ebay has destroyed all that as most idiots selling at swaps now will say i can get that much for it on ebay etc..

One thing that has always killed me is the famous BS line (theres not many left anymore or their getting harder to find everyday) meanin the cars are dissapearing fast so you better just shut up and pay what im askin!! I have been hearin that since 1987 when i bought my first 68 camaro and yet there still around and with the net there are even more to find!?? Check ebay auctions this same line is used in like 7 out of 10 auctions!!
I also concur on this. However "getting harder to find" usually means finding one worth a damn to resurrect.

I can go out and find plenty of rusted out shells not running needing everything for $1500...and when I say "needing everything"...means pretty much the whole car is really a basket case in such bad shape they're only good for parts....

There used to be a point when an old car was so far gone it was deemed "not worthy" because it was easier and cheaper to find one in better shape....but now it seems even the parts cars that are ready for the crusher are now viewed as "worthy of restoration".....:rolleyes:

you have the right idea of waiting for the great deal to come along!! Dont jump on the first one you see if you dont like it!! there are still good deals to be had!! No your not gonna find a 70 ss for 500 but you can find a 70-72 malibu 2 door without rust and running for 4-6 grand.
I bought my current malibu for 4800 with fresh paint new interior and all original sheet metal (AZ) car just a year or 2 ago with a descent 350/350 in it. so keep your eyes open and dont buy the bs that you wont find another one cause you will!!!
True to this too.... in '90 we bought what's now my '69 Nova for $800....just a inline 6/power glide grandma's car.....today you'd not get away with spending less than $3k for the same car......I bought my Chevelle in May 2004 for $2500 to include a fresh paint job....guy took a $1000 bath on it to get it off his lot....of course I put in the interior/built the engine/did other misc. things to it.......

So with that said, yes you can find one, but no you will not find one as cheap as those unless someone doesn't know what they have or it needs alot of work....

Keep in mind the prices on old iron aren't getting any cheaper, and it's even affected some of the once overlooked iron that no one was building....such as the late 60's/early 70's Impalas and Malibu station wagons.

Also I see you're in Cali where the cost of living is higher than most places....but I always thought old cars, particularly in the southern areas were in of a higher supply as they are exposed to a dry climate most of their lives....must be the ones bringing them north who are asking for huge amounts in the salty areas....too bad you're not in NC, I know of a Chevelle guy that has a few for sale......

·
Registered
862 Posts
it is not a bad thing that they are so high. you just got to beat your feet a little and take every chance you get to drive around and look. there are a lot of cars still out there just in the wrong places. when and if you get the chance drive around rural areas and the po side of town, when you find a prospect dont get too excited. people can read you like a book when your heart is beating out of your chest and you cant look them in the eyes cuz you are starin at the car while they are talking to you. just ask be curtious and befriend them. and understand that they might of had a dream once. if they will let you look at the car closely. have some paperwork. (cost of parts and labor rates) when they are telling you that they want this much for it, then you have an idea what they are going to have to spend and when you start adding that up they will get depressed and they'll make you an offer for you to buy. have cash for deposit and cell phone to call rollback immediatly. hang in there if it is ment to be then it will. life is short so take advantage of it, and live it to the fullest.:yes: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I recently ended the hunt for my Chevelle with a purchase.

My philosophy was this. "I'm willing to pay a person what a car IS worth, not what it CAN BE worth."

I had one guy knock on his 69 Malibu (worth no more than $2,500) and said "I watch Barrett-Jackson, I know what these things bring".

That was the end of that discussion...ask me in 5yrs, I bet that car will still be sitting there.

The only reason anything sells for big $ is because there's someone out there who will pay it!

....not I...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts