Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys. I bought my 70 3 days ago and when we drove it home the headlamps worked. the next day i took it out, if i put the switch for the low lamps they wouldnt turn on. if i put on the brights all four would work. just yesterday i took it out again and i went to put the brights on and only the outside lamps worked.

My questions are what the heck is wrong? Are the brights positioned closer or farther away from the grill? thanks

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The brights are on the inside. They should have 2 prongs on them. The outside bulbs are the lows. They also switch to high when you put the brights on. They should have 3 prongs (2 filaments) on them. Sounds like what you are describing are the filaments going out. Maybe I'm wrong and it's bad connections but it's unusual for a lot of bulbs to go out at once. That's sort of what it sounds like. If I'm right you don't want to replace the bulbs without doing some checking.
I'd pull the bright bulbs out and measure the bulbs with an ohmmeter. If both those bulbs are gone, take a look at the voltage out of the alternator with the car running. See if the voltage has gone about 15 volts.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when i pull the switch all the way out now, where the switch would be for the brights, only the low beams come on. how would i check the wires? would i use the volts or ohms part of a meter to check it. Would i put the positive side of meter to the connector and the neg to a ground? Thanks.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way but pulling the light switch all the way out only turns the lights on. The hi-beams are turned on by the hi-beam switch on the floor. Your last post is confusing me a little.

------------------
Regards,
RLK
My Cars

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
I think i know what your problem was..

as knipe stated.. When you pull the lights all the way, only the normal lights (Outside) turn on..

I think, that when you got the car.. The "High Beam" switch was pressed in.
So when you pull the lights all the way out, they all turned on.

Maybe while you were driving, you clicked the switch with your leg (It's under the E-Brake) and when you tried the other time, only the outside turned on...

When you pull the headlight switch half way, only the Parking lights turn on..
When you pull it all the way, The headlights turn on...

When they are pulled all the way, and you click on the high beam switch, they all light up..

Hope this helps..

------------------
Shai
1972 Chevelle Malibu custom 4dr
TC member #1278

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that i guess is the problem, i did not know that the switch was there. I was goin nuts tryin to figure out why this was happenin. once again i thank you and this is the BEST site ever!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm happy that you chose a chevelle to own & love. It is, without a doubt, the best muscle car ever built.

BTW, everyone stopped using foot dimmers sometime in the late 70's. Unless you've owned a 30 year old car before, you would have never known.

------------------
Regards,
RLK
My Cars

1 - 9 of 9 Posts