Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to the garage tonight where my car has been sleeping happily for the past 1.5-2 months or so.

Until now apparently (it was fine 2 days ago when I was out there.) On the passenger side, just behind the wheel, was a fresh, new puddle of something. Looked like water/coolant. It was. Right under where the heater hoses connect to the heater core. Can see the line of coolant running down the inner fender and where it was rolling down and dripping off the frame.

Worst fear was somehow the heater core froze/popped. Not sure how/why that would happen, as the antifreeze is all new and 50/50 mix as well.

So, checked inside the car - nothing. No leaks, nothing wet, carpet completely dry, nada. Back out/under the car I go. Looks like it was simply dripping from the hose at the heater core connection, onto the AC box, rolling down, dripping onto the inner fender, then out between the inner fender and frame. Nothing frozen, coolant is good, just looks like the cold caused enough contraction at the joint to cause a tiny leak there that slowly dripped out.

Earlier this year, I did the good periodic maintenance of replacing the heater hoses, got 'em good and tight, no leaks at all. Until now. No good deed goes unpunished.

Grrrrr....

I guess, this spring, gonna tighten them up again and see if it keeps leaking or not (it's done leaking now - it's below that level...) If so, pull 'em and see if I managed to crush one of the port tubes - seen it happen before (I haven't done it before, but this could be a first.) If so, I guess it's a new heater core? Ugh...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Just another example of why these cars are never "done". I'm sure it will be fine when things warm up. I've experienced this coolant leaking problem several times before, particularly when I lived in Minnesota. Good luck.

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,416 Posts
I find that a lot of times the hoses will leak when the cold weather comes. Normally another tightening will stop it.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
That is why most manufactures went to the tension spring type clamps.

Say you happen to crush the pipe. get creative with the bernzomatic torch and some solder make a better fitting.
I repaired many ..and I even got creative and beefed up or fixed my busted battery terminals with lead and the torch.
Not on the battery of course.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
This is pretty normal. My Chevelle had a drip on just about all the hoses when it got real cold, like single digits the first time this winter. I had installed all the hoses when it was about 50. Tightened them all up and it was fine. My kid's new car we bough from down south, it had never been up here in the cold. First the heater hoses dripped some, tightened them up. Then the trans cooler hoses leaked, tightened them up too. That's just this winter alone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts