Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After owning my 66 Elcamino for 18 years I finally cut the black tape on the wires leaving the most inside . How it has run/started/not burned up this long I have no idea! Just want to check on a few things before I put it all back togather. Seemed like a good thing to do while the engine and everything else is out.

1)White wire that went to coil now goes to R side of starter. (HEI will pick power from fuse block)

2)Purple wire goes to the S side of starter

3)Dark blue not used (oil presure)

4)Orange to heater (non A/C car)

5/6)Yellow and light blue to wiper

7)Green to A/C

Anything I missed?

My Town Motto: "if you don't like it, your house came in on wheels it can go out on wheels"

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, always just rehooked that wire anytime I unhooked it. So your saying just run battery cable and purple wire to starter?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
yes

also the white wire that goes to the "R" is only used for the points ignition system. it maintains a higher voltage while the start cycle is engaged, instead of being pulled down. the HEI system doesn't need that.
so - yes you only need the purpl going to the "S" and the positive battery cable to the main lug.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I must have picked the right fuse to pick it at because I've never had that problem. So if I wanted I could run the white over to the starter than pickup my HEI "batt" off that?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts