Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying I'm not naive. I've been buying and selling cars and parts for over 30 years. Sometimes I make money, sometimes I lose but that's how the game goes.

So last weekend, while eating my lunch on Sunday I'm cruising Craigslist. I have my distance set to 250 miles because I'm in a small community and that gets me closer to big cities. I run across an ad for a car I'm interested in. It's priced well and I can afford it. I try calling the seller, no answer, but I get a text a minute later. We go back and forth, He's showing it today to other people today, I'm 4 hours away, I can't get there where he is for 2 weeks due to life commitments. I ask if he'll hold it for a deposit, he says he will after the others come look. I contact him later in the evening, says he still has the car.

Next day I put cash in the bank for the deposit, wants me to use some cashapp website I've never heard of before. I called and talked to him, the story sounds good, move forward. Try to make that work, not happening, finally he offers to accept through Facebook. I don't have it but the wife does and she gets it done. That was Monday.

Today he contacts me, explaining that he's buying an SUV for his wife, and could I send him a bigger deposit? Big red flag. I say no, he gets the remainder when I get the car. We go through it again that I can't get there for 2 weeks to pick it up. He starts to get snotty with me and says he's going to send me back my deposit and not sell me the car because I'm a jerk. Then he sends me a pic of the car on a trailer and says he could have delivered it if I'd been nice, yet on initial contact, there was only a few pics of it in a barn and he said that he couldn't get in front of it to get better pics.

Deposit coming back? I don't think so. I'm out some cash which hurts, but it's my play money, not our grocery or mortgage.

Be careful guys.

Devin

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ad is down. Santa Rosa, CA area. This is the car that was being advertised. Off Topic for the site, reason I didn鈥檛 mention it originally

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Automotive lighting

Car Vehicle Plant Hood Motor vehicle

I鈥檝e bought and sold many cars and parts on nothing more than a man鈥檚 word. This guy was good. He had a story that sounded legit.

Devin

Premium Member
Rochester, New York
Oooh..... That's an oldie. I would have wanted to jump on that vdub too.:cool:

Registered
Think the pan wasnt rotten for sitting like that for how long?

No reason you should give the guy your money get it back!
Hes lucky you even offered one to hold it til you could see it and he keeps it I dont think so!
Text him to refund you within 48 hrs of youre gonna file a police report. Bet it shows up.

These days you almost have to to a google image search.
Almost got rooked by a very clever polite and persistent scammer for some LT5 heads. Alllmost got me.
So searched the pics, the guy was in S Africa somewhere, pics were from an old Dealership ad.

Premium Member
Mistake #1 - actually thinking a bargain exists in today's market. It doesn't. It's a sellers market.
Mistake #2 - sending money without a written contract in place.
Mistake #3 - using an App to send money that you never heard of.
You should have walked at #3.....but I'm sure you realize that now. Don't mean to pile on.
I'd say to file a police report when your money doesn't get returned....but I suspect the phone will be registered to an alias.
Good luck, nonetheless.

Reactions: Jasons 69 Chevelle

Premium Member
Text him to refund you within 48 hrs of youre gonna file a police report. Bet it shows up.
Unfortunately, the phone number is probably not traceable b/c it's likely registered to a bogus name and address.
The App that took the money....which is the only hope at this point....likely won't step in.
Everything was carefully and intentionally set up for this to happen.

Registered
A couple months ago I lost out on a '72 Nova with 43,000 original miles. All original garage kept blue plate California car. Car was up in Susanville which is about 5-1/2hrs from me. Still kicking myself for not jumping on it. I should've dropped everything and went after it.... you should've done the same if you really wanted it...

Reactions: Derek69SS

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Listen guys, I know I made mistakes. I've read of of others doing similar. I only posted this as a warning. Keep your eyes open.

Devin

Premium Member
Bill
I don't know if it was legit or not, but you can't expect someone to hold a car for sale for 2 weeks with just a small deposit. I would have given your money back and washed my hands of you too.

Registered
I buy and sell on Craigslist, for the most part car guys are honest. There just looking to move parts there not going to use. Some guys are real crooks.
Remember the saying if it sound to good to be true use your gut feeling. Most guys are looking for deals.
Cars these days you have to go look at it in person. Deposit these days are risky. I hope the seller returns your hard earn money, hope he has good sence to do so.

Premium Member
I don't accept deposits, first one with cash in fist gets it.
I accept deposits.
I put a time on it in writing. If they don't show up, I keep it.
My buddy got 4 G's off a guy that kept giving more deposit so my pal would go another week. Eventually, the guy ghosted and he sold the car to someone else.
Deposits = good.

Reactions: mr 4 speed

Premium Member
1969 Chevy Chevelle SS396, M20, 12 bolt 3:55, 454 w/fuel injection
Let me start by saying I'm not naive. I've been buying and selling cars and parts for over 30 years. Sometimes I make money, sometimes I lose but that's how the game goes.

So last weekend, while eating my lunch on Sunday I'm cruising Craigslist. I have my distance set to 250 miles because I'm in a small community and that gets me closer to big cities. I run across an ad for a car I'm interested in. It's priced well and I can afford it. I try calling the seller, no answer, but I get a text a minute later. We go back and forth, He's showing it today to other people today, I'm 4 hours away, I can't get there where he is for 2 weeks due to life commitments. I ask if he'll hold it for a deposit, he says he will after the others come look. I contact him later in the evening, says he still has the car.

Next day I put cash in the bank for the deposit, wants me to use some cashapp website I've never heard of before. I called and talked to him, the story sounds good, move forward. Try to make that work, not happening, finally he offers to accept through Facebook. I don't have it but the wife does and she gets it done. That was Monday.

Today he contacts me, explaining that he's buying an SUV for his wife, and could I send him a bigger deposit? Big red flag. I say no, he gets the remainder when I get the car. We go through it again that I can't get there for 2 weeks to pick it up. He starts to get snotty with me and says he's going to send me back my deposit and not sell me the car because I'm a jerk. Then he sends me a pic of the car on a trailer and says he could have delivered it if I'd been nice, yet on initial contact, there was only a few pics of it in a barn and he said that he couldn't get in front of it to get better pics.

Deposit coming back? I don't think so. I'm out some cash which hurts, but it's my play money, not our grocery or mortgage.

Be careful guys.

Devin
Thanks for the 鈥渉eads-up鈥, Devin.

Premium Member
We recently went through a new one for me. My dad was selling a fairly new used car on autotrader. Someone said they were interested and would send us a check to deposit and then pick up the car. The check showed up for 2x our asking price. When we asked why, they said they needed the extra cash to pick up another car after they gets ours. They also wanted to come quickly but we said not until the check cleared. The check turned out to not be from a real bank. We just stopped communicating with them and let autotrader know what went down.

Registered
Scams galore out there... Although not a car, I had a house that I used to rent. My agent would put pictures and info on the MLS and brokerage website. The scammer would copy the pictures and put an ad on Craigslist for a house for rent and take deposits on a house he didn't own. The cops, who I know, called me about the deposits and after talking to me, realized what was going on. Felt bad for those people...

Registered
Sounds like a flakey shakey deal.. Personally.. I'd give back or expect 50%. With that being said... I normally do not refund deposits if I have held up my end of the deal. I'm a pretty cut and dry person which usually pisses most people off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts