Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't find a post for this so I thought I'd share.....

I first bought it from Harbor Freight, but now find it in the local parts store. It's great stuff for when you don't want to put a solderless connector on (big and ugly).

It comes in a can, much like contact cement. I have found that soldering a connection and applying the liquid tape, makes for a very neat job. I only have black, but maybe other colors are available?

I think it would be great for chafed/nicked wires too.

Here's to the guy who came up with the liquid tape....
Thanks.

Here's another tip I haven't heard mention: When wrapping electrical tape, alway use scissors to cut the tape and make two full wraps without stretching the tape. It will keep the tape from pulling away and unraveling over time.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I know what you mean. I used that all the time when I was in University (Electronics). Makes some really clean and neat insulation.
Steve

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Actually electrician's tape shouldn't be used on a car. It always comes loose because of heat. Better to use shrink tubing.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I've thought about using liquid electrical tape, but I wonder how well it holds up under the hood.

There's quite a wide swing of temperature extremes under there. Some places go from a few hundred degrees Fahrenheit to ambient air temperature in a matter of hours. That will certainly test the properties of any wire covering.

Of course, worst case scenario is that it starts to break down and you just have to brush some more on. Right?

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
I haven't seen the liquid stuff, is it like a brushable version of the stuff you can dip your tool handles in? If ut is I think it would work pretty well. I used the tool dip before to seal some of the 100 watt halogen bicycle lights I made. Those 50 watt bulbs get VERY hot very fast and cool down even quicker. Some of the first lights I made 10 years ago are still working well through hundreds of hours and untold heat cycles.

·
Registered
518 Posts
is it like a brushable version of the stuff you can dip your tool handles in?
The liquid Tape I've got in my tool chest is "Plasti-Kote" ..... I THINK it's the same stuff. I would have to agree that it works great! Unfortunately, it is much more expensive than electricians tape. I also believe it comes in colors other than black.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's nice stuff. I have it in green. I have found it red and blue also. The only time I use it is when I have to make a connection that has to be submersed in water. In that case I use the heat shrink tubing as an insulater and the liquid as a sealer. Every other thing I just use heat shrink.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Rob, try Panduit heat shrink. It seals itself. We use it offshore and it's MMS compliant for welding leads that get dragged in the water all the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts