Team Chevelle banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The hose shown below (bottom hose, top picture) is what is (supposedly per the parts books) the correct upper hose for 68-72 Chevelles with air cond (BB or SB). Mine always gets a groove worn into it by the air cond compressor. And it needed to be replaced again before going to CB08.
So I went to my local O'Reillys to get a new one and while there, we start checking the hose rack for something better.
The one I found is for a mid 70s car with air. It is the exact same length and size, but as you can see, it has a 90deg bend just where it is needed.
This should end the problems with the air cond comp rubbing a hole in the hose!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Hose with 90deg bend.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
good info thanks:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
looks just like a 70 BB W/AC

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
Great info (as usual) Tom! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
480 Posts
looks just like a 70 BB W/AC
I agree, it looks like a hose for an 69-72 BB A/C car. The one you have been running is a hose for a non A/C car. Here are some OE hose numbers

Chevelle Big Block Applications
3917227 - 68-72 Chevelle Upper BB Radiator Hose
3942453 - 69-72 Chevelle Upper BB Radiator Hose - w/ A/C
3959188 - 69-72 Chevelle Lower BB Radiator Hose
3937733 - 1968 Chevelle Lower BB Radiator Hose
3880814 - 66-67 Chevelle Upper BB Radiator Hose
3881814 - 66-67 Chevelle Lower BB Radiator Hose

Chevelle Small Block Applications:
3923229 - 68-72 Chevelle Upper SB Radiator Hose
3959488 - 69-72 Chevelle Lower SB Radiator Hose
3839303 - 64-67 Chevelle Lower SB Radiator Hose with SHP
3839301 - 64-67 Chevelle Lower SB Radiator Hose
3932396 - 68-72 Chevelle Upper with a/c SB Radiator Hose
3886073 - 66-67 Chevelle Upper SB Radiator Hose - with SHP
3850687 - 64-65 Chevelle Upper SB Radiator Hose

·
Registered
13,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree, it looks like a hose for an 69-72 BB A/C car. The one you have been running is a hose for a non A/C car.
Marty,
I agree, and the one that I'm working on for a friend has that style hose (with the 90deg bend).
BUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, the (Gates) parts book only list the other style hose. So, I don't know if after all these years the hose (20827) with the 90deg bend was inadvertantly omitted or what. In any event, the hose above with the 90deg bend is certainly more suitable to use on an air cond car! And obviously I'm not the only person who has had this same problem with the AC compressor rubbing a hole in the upper hose.
I just wish I'd discovered this 3 hoses ago. ;)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Ya, I am actually wanting to go the other way with my hoses. I went to autozone for a hose for my 69, and they brought out the hose with the bend, which is what I have, but I dont like how it sits on the electric fans. I ask if they had one for a non A/C car and they said, "The computer doesn't ask if it has A/C or not":rolleyes:. A trained monkey could do that job.

I think their hoses are made by Kelly Springfield.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Belt cutting your radiator hose? Check your motor mounts -- that's what it was in my '76 Vette. Until then, you could cut the top and bottom off a beer can and hose-clamp the remains to your radiator hose over the belt.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
its got nothing to do with motor mounts. there was two hoses one for cars with air and one without.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm just saying that on my Vette a busted motor mount caused the engine to jump enough that what otherwise looked like enough clearance between the fanbelt and the radiator hose still resulted in gouged hoses. I assume that nobody on here is dumb enough to install the hose in such a way as to have obvious contact, and I'm merely suggesting that the resulting gouging could be a sign of worn motor mounts.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Always interesting how different folks go for different strokes...

I went looking for the 45* bend hose and could only find the 90* bend. I wanted to make some room up front for an OEM power steering reservoir on the fan shroud.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.