Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again I am asking for help. I found a 12 bolt out of a 1967-72 truck. Guys only asking a $150 but I have to drive 5 hours round trip. He said it worked when he pulled it out and the housing looks good. Said he is selling it cheap because not a posi and is sure it has stock axles. Would this rear end work with new gears, full spool, and aftermarket axles. At least I would know that the stuff in it is good. Instead of paying $800 or more to find out he gears don't work etc... What do you guys think? I can pick it up Saturday.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Posi/spool and gears are different in the truck rearend than a car and don't interchange. It'll probably be too wide as well, have him measure before you spend the time and money to go look at it. Chances are you could get a 9" from a place like Quick Performance for less money by the time you get all the mods done to it and you'd have a much more versatile rearend.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
^forgot about the 6-lug axles, most had 'em until '71 or so. The pre-71's are coil springs, too, and it's amazing how well the truck arm suspension works. It's the same basic design they run on NASCAR trucks and GM came out with it in '60.

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
^forgot about the 6-lug axles, most had 'em until '71 or so. The pre-71's are coil springs, too, and it's amazing how well the truck arm suspension works. It's the same basic design they run on NASCAR trucks and GM came out with it in '60.
I believe the '71 & '72 trucks are coil springs too. I think '73 was the when G.M. went to leaf springs.

·
Banned
9,472 Posts
yes the 60-72 trucks were available with both coil spring and leaf spring. I can`t remember but I think the 64-early 70 12 bolts were about 60.5" and the late 70-72 were about 61.5". all i remember is the later rearends are about a inch wider than the later and they changed in mid 1970. the 64-70 will be 6 lug and even if it`s a 5 lug, it`s a 5x5 lug pattern. It wuld take some work to get it to work with control arms and I seem to remember the car 12 bolt being stronger. The pinion gear has more splines or something like that. Keep a eye out for a car 12 bolt. you can go the 9" route too. I bought a Quick performance 9" for my old 65 and it was high quality. It`s only about $350 for the bare housing and under $800 for a housing/axle kit.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I thought that leaf springs were first available as an option in '72 and stock in '73, everything was coils before that. I had an uncle that ordered his new '72 with leafs and he was some kinda proud of that...until he got it. It rode rough and wheel hopped like nobody's business and sure disappointed him, especially when the 350's outran his 402 since he got zilch traction.

·
Banned
9,472 Posts
leafs or coils were available from 60-72 and then leafs were standard in 73. I`ve had 2 68`s a 70 and now a 62 and they have all been coil spring but my buddy had a 65 gmc that was leaf, course I think they were standard on gmc`s though but they were available either way on chevys too.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I have a '62 GMC 1/2 ton chassis that I'm setting my '57 on, it has coils. I've had it next to a '63 Chevrolet chassis with coils and it's amazing how much stronger the GMC is built.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, I learned something again. I looked at the 9" ford sets from Quick Performance and that looks very reasonable. By the time I pay for a used rear end, the gas to go get, sure enough something will need to be replaced, etc....I will easily spend that amount of money. According to quick performance I can get the complete package with housing and everything for just over a grand. Unless I am missing something. So...since I don't have a $1000 I am going to "Drive" my car with the 10 bolt and enjoy it a little, get the quirks out etc... while I save the money. I will probably go ahead and put my 79 Firebird up for sale, I think I could probably get $1500 or more for it. Then I have a rear end I don't have to worry about breaking. The hardest part will be driving the car with the 10 bolt and no posi traction and haveing the discipline to not romp on it. However, I am definitely convinced that it will break and there is no doubt about it.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Super Moderator
16,151 Posts
In the 60-72 trucks coils were used with the half-ton chassis. The leaf springs were used with 1 ton set ups.

To further confuse things, the half-ton could have gotten overload springs which were half leafs even though the main spring was retained as a coil. These overload springs did NOT change the half-ton rating of the truck however.

Off the top of my head, I don't recall if 3/4 ton trucks were coils or leafs.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
I've owned a couple of those pickups. My '68 GMC half ton had leaf springs and my '67 Chevy 1/2 ton had coil springs.

G

·
Freddie, (aka, big gear head/bgh), told us that the P/U 12-bolts have a lot smaller pinion shaft and pumpkin bearing support so therefore are a lot weaker than a car 12-bolt.

I looked into this b/c my $300,'80 C/10 has a good 2.76 reg'd P/U 12-bolt under it and I thought hard about cutting it down to fit my 1st Gen. Camaro car to gain topend gearing vs my stock, 3.31's!

Freddie said not to do it!

Sure miss Freddie not posting w/ us anymore!!

pdq67

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
146 Posts
60-72 was coil sprung standard in 1/2 and 3/4 ton (even in GMC's: look down), as stated before, with leaves optional in 1/2 and 3/4 ton. I'm unsure about 1 ton, but you only want a 1/2 ton axle. 60-70 are a 6 on 5.5" and 71-72 are 5 on 5" bolt circle(s). 60 - early 70 were 55.5" backing plate to backing plate, and late 70-72 were 57" wide. I wouldn't drive 500 miles, you could find one closer for the same price or better, especially if you only want the casing.

They could have many gear ratios, mine is currently 3.08's.

·
Premium Member
7,962 Posts
As was stated the coils were standard on 1/2 & 3/4 ton rears from that era; 1/2 leaf overload "snubbers" were optional on the coil spring trucks as Rich said. You could also specify semi-ellipical rear leaf springs instead of the coils.

1-ton rears used only leaf springs, plus I believe they were full-floating axles.

Besides the issues already raised, where are the locating ears on the pumpkin?

Attached is the coil and helper 1/2 leaf snubber option.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts