Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when I bought my car it had no seat belts. I had to act fast and got some of the $9.99 specials (GM) lap belts from a local parts store. They work fine and are secured properly.

I have no idea how the original belts looked? or how they worked, I saw in my manual "electronic seat belt retraction"??? Is that for convertables?

Mine has a bench seat now, but will get buckets a year down the road (the BB has priority).

Do the belts interchange??

------------------
have now>>>>> am building
SB350>>>>BB396 w/nitrous
TH350>>>>TH400 (shift kit, slight stall)
shooting for low 12s in 1/4
college student budget!

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
Why not get a used set from a '72 that will fit your car properly? This way you could have the proper lap and shoulder belts.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mike,

I recently replaced my drivers side seat belt with one from J.C. Whiteny, and I have the original drivers side retracting belt and buckle just sitting on my work bench. I dont have the shoulder harness though. Email me if you want it.

------------------
Joe Scott
72 Chevelle 350/TH350
Red w/black int
Black vinyl top

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
My 67 had no belts when I got it. I ended up getting an "original" set from a place in OH for about $400. Don't know if you're looking to spend that much but if you are, let me know and I'll look up the info for you. It was a lot less than I found anywhere else to get the original buckles, etc...

------------------
Rick Sutter
Member #383
'67 Chevelle Super Sport
www.sutternet.com/chevelle.asp

·
Registered
34 Posts
I do not advise installing used, original belts. I would not trust 28 year old webbing to hold my heavy butt in a crash! I know you plan to race, be safe. Used belts can probably be re-webbed, or you can look up some street rod suppliers for new, reasonably-priced, street-style belts.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if I buy all of the seat-belts now with my bench set..... then put in the buckets down the road it'll be all fine and dandy?

So the 'retracting' unit is on the ground and not up on the hood?

Money is a pretty big issue. i.e. $400 is a big ol'
versus the $8.99 ones from autozone. But I do need to be safe at the track. ~~You guys are gonna love my next poxt in 'performance' titled "five point harnesses"

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
Check the prices on the parts for sale area here. I sold a pretty nice set of '72 belts for $50 and I have seen them for more.Let me know if you are interested and maybe I can scare up another set. I am currently parting out a '72 daily driver and it has good belts. Or, check your local savage yards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts