Team Chevelle banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( Dad and I were putting his interior back in his 72 last night trying to get it ready for CB08. He just got his car out of the paint shop about 3 weeks ago and we had stripped out all of the interior before it went. All of the interior was back in it besides the driver side bucket seat. Dad's got a small garage and had some stuff around the car so I had to squeeze by it carrying the seat. I went to put the seat in the car and the bottom slipped out of my hand scratching the door jamb area just under the door sill. :( I think that I teared up almost immediately. I'm always careful when working on them, but we were both in a hurry and this happens. I'm calling the body shop today to see what they can do for it. I was absolutely sick last night and had some trouble sleeping. I know that it is stupid but I'm not only mad at myself, I'm upset for my dad. He did the normal dad thing and said that it would get scratched up more from us getting in and out of it, etc which helps out some.

Sorry for all of the rambling, just thought I would let off some steam to some fellow Chevelle owners.:mad:

·
Registered
655 Posts
it can be fixed and its a small price to pay for father/son time. I remeber several years back, I had just finished putting the clear over the base coat on my 69 and went in to shower. my 4 year old son snuck in the garage and took a screwdriver to the driver side door ruining it. when I found him with screwdriver in hand the look he gave me was priceless and all I could do was grab a camera, take a picture and laugh. the next day I sanded the clear back off the door and re-shot it. all was good.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I know its painful to see that first scratch or rock chip .........

but REAL cars !! acquire them every mile that you drive them :)

Only Trailer queers don't .............. ( flame suit on ) sorry trailer guys but its true ;)

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
yeah just buff it out and go.

The father son time is much more important.

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts
I know how you feel. I have 1 on my 69 that I will need to have fixed also made me so mad I covered the car for 2 weeks before I could deal with looking at the spot.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Had just finished mine and was helping my brother out by bringing him a battery where his car died. Well I put it in the trunk(duh!) it rolled and I now have two pop marks in my quater from the post on the battery. I was a little irate after that. They are still there along with two other bangs/scratches from the past 18 years. It is a driver and will remain so!

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
That stinks, but it could have been a LOT worse... At least you can't see the door jamb with the door closed.. For now, just hit it with some touch up paint and be done with it..

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
I know how you feel. I have 1 on my 69 that I will need to have fixed also made me so mad I covered the car for 2 weeks before I could deal with looking at the spot.
you aren't supposed to blow the car up, Brad

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Guys. Body shop is going to try to get it in before we head out on the 5th. I just wished that I did it to my 69 and not his 72. Then I only had to be mad at myself and not mad about doing it to his car. I agree with you guys on the father/son bonding time. I have a 3 year old that likes to help me when I'm working on the 69. He has helped me teardown a couple of engines. He knows where the rubber mallet is in my toolbox and likes to do "Bodywork" on my car. I guess he's seen me do a little to much hammering on the car. MikeH, I know where you are coming from. I have a 94 Z28 that used to be my show car, now it is just garage decorations. I came in the garage one day to see him using the fender as a racetrack with a hotwheel. Stupid me didn't put the cover on it last time I had it out. It put some really good surface scratches in the paint, but nothing some buffing wouldn't take care of on the worst spots. Before he was around I would have freaked out, but now I just told him that Daddy's car doesn't make as good of a racetrack as the garage floor.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
I'd consider it a good thing - the car has now been "christened", and should be much safer than before.

I did the same thing to my front fender when I was trying to adjust my hood right after I got the car. After swearing for several minutes, I took a break, then went out with some touch-up paint and got started on it. Still there today, I'm the only one that knows where to look for it - practically invisible.

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
I've got so many now that I don't even blink when I make or find a new one.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Remember, if you don't make a mistake once in a while you are not doing anything;)
if you can fix it it's not screwed up.
don't sweat it, fix it and go on.
learn from it
you are only human
we all know how you feel:yes:

·
Registered
224 Posts
not to worry any base coat clear coat damage can be repaired, a relationship is far tougher to fix, i remember the first week out of the paint shop, i went to auto zone where i recieve a major scratch,, the next week two different dogs jump on my car, (not my dog) then two day later the dog owner child rake his handle bars all the way down the driver side, after this point im ready to kill the next person who breaths on it, after that i parked in the garage for three month, first week out some lady went out of her way to lay down the deepest longest scratch i have ever seen, with a grunge piece of ford crap truck worth only 50 bucks, i cold very easyly rip her truck apart with my bare hands, but i withheld my anger , this is when one character is tested i think i passed , thanks for the venting post i feel better ohh i sold that chevelle after that incident, i got 9k still not bad i only paid 100 bucks for the 69 ss car

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I have a couple of outdoor kitties that think the garage is perfect shade when I am outside.
Then they decide to snoop around the 59----I give up.

I now have more than a few battlescars on it----But it is no trailer queen!

I now just hose it off when I take it out and hope for the best.

·
Premium Member
17,391 Posts
I did the same thing to my front fender when I was trying to adjust my hood right after I got the car.
Me too (except the 1/4 panel, and the hood, etc)...

Just painted the car, and after the clear had dried, I closed the trunk lid. I had close it before, and it was fine. This time, I didn't want to press hard on the soft paint, so I slammed it (removing my hand before it was closed)... The latch pin (?) "bounced" off the latch, pushing the trunklid into the 1/4 panel and putting a big chip in the paint... Doh!

I also burned through the corner while buffing one of the SS hood scoops...

Bryan59EC said:
I have a couple of outdoor kitties that think the garage is perfect shade when I am outside.
Then they decide to snoop around the 59----I give up.

I now have more than a few battlescars on it----But it is no trailer queen!

I now just hose it off when I take it out and hope for the best.
My friends came to visit, and one brought a mopar; 1971 340 Demon.
We had many cats, so he wanted to cover his car at night. We suggested against it, but he did it anyway... The next morning he flipped out, when he pulled the cover off, there were numerous minor scratches on the hood. It turns out the cats would jump onto the hood, and the cover would slide a bit, so they automatically extend their claws...

Unfortunately for my friend, his hood was "blacked out", so he couldn't just buff and wax the scratches out...

For me, my kids, or a friend helping me, the accidental damage would be okay...

I had a friend help me with my Chevelle. real easger to learn and help, so I had him install the yoke straps after we did a trans swap... The next day, I tried a burnout and losst the rear U-joint taking out the yoke too... I figured it was probably because I never checked the straps to see how tight he had them... My fault, and I never even mentioned it to my friend...

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
Dad's got a small garage and had some stuff around the car so I had to squeeze by it carrying the seat.
Why not move the stuff out of the way or just put the seat back in outside the garage so you have more room?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.