Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was driving and made a right turn into a parking lot, I thought I heard a ping sound like a pin or something small and metal fell off my car. I shifted fine, parked, put the e-brake on and put it in 1st. I come back out 3 minute later and it wont shift. It was dark but it looked like all the shifter arms were intact and nothing was binding up. The shifter WILL move, it goes straight up and straight down and has a funny feeling to it. Eventually I got the car into 1st gear (which Is roughly where 2nd should be with the shifter) And I tried shifting and it makes a nasty grinding sound, sounds like its coming from the flywheel ... I may be wrong though. Ive got today off and have yet to go out and get a real look but if anyone has any ideas Id love to hear them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok. I did some work here... I took the shifter arms off the shifter and moved the ears and heard a little click sound... I moved the shifter around and it seemed fine. I moved the ears on the tranny gears and they hit fine also. I put my alignment tool back in, put the shift arms back on and it shifts fine? I drove around the block and it hits all gears... this is a really nice suprise but at the same time im worried because I dont know what it was and if it will happen again. Could the shifter be going out? Its an Older Hurst out of a Camaro.

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
I used to have the same problem years ago with the original shifter in my El Camino. It was loose, and if you got lazy about shiftin' it, it's shift into both 1st and 3rd at the same time, which would lock up the shifter and the car. I'd have to crawl underneath, flip the shift arms into neutral on the trans. A new shifter solved the problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im trying to figure out which model of Hurst I have now because I dont like how it fits. Or can you adjust them? I dont want to buy the same one. As I was stressing over before the one I have now hits the crossmember.. the reverse ear...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I'll be getting a Hurst. I need one with more curvature in the arm. Mine now has a slight bend in it and its still really far up. They dont come with the install kit and shift arms do they? If the problem is just my hardware/ shift ears maybe I'll just buy a new install kit.

·
Registered
155 Posts
ditto on the competition plus....money well spent.....it should come complete with all new linkages, shift plates,etc.....handles are usually mix & match to your preference, ...they can be custom bent by you....with a grinder/dremel/cut off wheel, you can slice off some of the bottom of the reverse shift plate to help it clear the crossmember

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Last night I was driving and made a right turn into a parking lot, I thought I heard a ping sound like a pin or something small and metal fell off my car. I shifted fine, parked, put the e-brake on and put it in 1st. I come back out 3 minute later and it wont shift. It was dark but it looked like all the shifter arms were intact and nothing was binding up. The shifter WILL move, it goes straight up and straight down and has a funny feeling to it. Eventually I got the car into 1st gear (which Is roughly where 2nd should be with the shifter) And I tried shifting and it makes a nasty grinding sound, sounds like its coming from the flywheel ... I may be wrong though. Ive got today off and have yet to go out and get a real look but if anyone has any ideas Id love to hear them.
What year is the M20 in your car, original or maybe something early?

27 spline out or 32?
CHEVELLE & MALIBU 69-72 w & w/o Console 452/453 MUNCIE
391 8014 shifter 373 7834 install kit

The pictures of the shifter in this thread look to me like a super shifter, designed to fit the trans with no regard to a console or the floor, more of a race application. Look at how straight the rods are and how high it mounts on the extension housing.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
You might have broken the external spring that the old Hursts used. I wouldn't drive because it will go into reverse just as easily as first when it's moving. I haven't been able to find a spring that will replace the origonal but a shifter that old is probably worn out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The tranny is out of a 68 or 69 Camaro. The Hurst Shifter.... not sure, probably is a little older. How many of you installed your shifters with the tranny in the car? :) Its gonna be a bear getting under there! I'll probably order this one:

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...908216+4294908021+4294908187+115&autoview=sku

Its Summit Part number: HUU-3916848
It says install kit needed: yes, and its under reccomended parts. Do I need to order a specific install kit for Chevelle?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The tranny is out of a 68 or 69 Camaro. The Hurst Shifter.... not sure, probably is a little older. How many of you installed your shifters with the tranny in the car? :) Its gonna be a bear getting under there! I'll probably order this one:

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...908216+4294908021+4294908187+115&autoview=sku

Its Summit Part number: HUU-3916848
It says install kit needed: yes, and its under reccomended parts. Do I need to order a specific install kit for Chevelle?
That shifter says it's for a 73, that would be different. The numbers I gave you are out of the Hurst application guide.:yes:

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Phil,

If you use Summit's search function, and put in the correct information for your vehicle, you will get directly to the part numbers Wally already gave you.

FWIW, I replaced the stick that came with the shifter to a different PN. The one I have now bends to the left and back a little more and I like it better. I can try to find the PN if you are interested.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah I didnt even see those part numbers! Well cool, I tried calling Summit but there closed, the technical support anyways. The sales guy didnt know if it came with the install kit or not. Does the 3918014 Shifter come with that linkage install kit? A couple guys told me it should come with it. But to me it doesnt look like it does. Thanks guys.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts