Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this on ebay (where I would never actually buy a car) but, maybe you folks can set me straight. I don't ever remember seeing a TH-350 behind a factory big block and I have heard the debate, but I have never seen a true SS with a Monte Carlo dash. Am I missing something? It looks like a clone to me????? Maybe I should check the lower control arms to see if they are boxed, LOL.

Thanks guys
Chuck

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
Roger, copy - no TH350 behind a big block but the 71 & 72 SS could be ordered behind the two 350 small blocks as well which could have the TH350. You didn't have a link or item number so there's nothing to look at. :D

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
The letter "J" in the VIN indicates the car was born with a 350-4bbl engine and, hence, the TH350. Adding a catch phrase like "Fresh 402 Big Block Motor with year matching numbers" raises an eyebrow. There is no such thing as "Factory SS Gauges". The SS option did not include gauges, only round (non-walnut grained BTW) gauge pods. Any non-SS V8 Malibu could be ordered with that year's gauge option. I also don't see the seat belt warning lamp that came on the 72 model year.

Originally Mulsanne Blue with a white vinyl top and repainted resale red, not that big a deal. Not even replacing the SS emblems (if it was born an SS) on the door panels is a faux pas.

Pretty car, no doubt. He's apparently expecting a real SS price since it's being advertised as a real SS, even with the original engine gone, no apparent paperwork, and other changes. I'd ask for 'proof' of it being born with the SS option if nothing more than to see if he can back up the claim.

Here's another 72, documented SS 350/350 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chev...044685331QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item310044685331. Not the eye-catching red/white but somthing that's a documented car and looks like a nice driver quality car. It's had a color change and hood pins added, but still nice.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good eye on the seat belt light, Dale. I missed that one. That would make it a 1970 Monte dash. I agree with you. It all looks fishy. I also saw the blue one you pointed out. Nice car. I want buckets with a console, but that blue SS is just what I am looking for, except with the buckets and console. I don't even really care about "numbers matching" .... but I don't want to pay for numbers if they are not there.

Thanks pal.
Chuck

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Not all '72's had the seatbelt light. I posted a question about this before. I learned that it seems to be that cars produced on 1/72 and after had the light. Could the gauge package be ordered with a 250 malibu?

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
Hadn't heard that before, interesting. I'll have to check and see if I have any photos of 72 dash's before 1/1/72. Initial car still had a wood grain MC dash. According to Chevy documentation I have, the gauge package (RPO U14) could only be ordered on the V8 coupe, convertible, and sedan pickup.

Edit: Found one 72 SS with build sheet date 12-01 from Baltimore that does have light, FWIW. Also found a 72 MC w/sequence #B567xxx (mid November) w/o the light. Looks like late in the year it may have been hit or miss at Baltimore. Any one else with pre January 72 w/o light?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts