Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the hydroboost I bought from a member years ago installed. Thought it would be plug and play but, like most things I do I always run into issues. None that I could not overcome. I also replaced the NAPA quick ratio steering box with the original that I had rebuilt to a quick ratio box. The hydroboost unit I purchased was complete with all lines. Everything was plug and play except for the high pressure line at the power steering pump.

Things I had to change;
- 1/2 width nut behind clevis to allow for pedal clearance to brake light bracket
- did not use brake switch tab that was on brake pedal arm but thankfully the brake light plunger hits the brake pedal arm squarely. Just learned when you use the top hole the bracket isn't used.
- Of course you use the upper hole for the hydroboost plunger rod/clevis.
- added a "T" into the return line running the straight part from the power steering box to the power steering pump and attaching the hydroboost low pressure return line to the remaining outlet/inlet of the "T".
- The high pressure line to the original power steering pump had the newer flared fitting vs. the original. I used the valve from another power steering pump that would accommodate the newer style end. Luckily it was a matter of unscrewing the original valve and screwing the newer version in.
- Plug the vacuum line from the manifold that was used to for the original power booster setup. I discovered I forgot to do that when the engine idle would go down.

Once I tightened all fittings I raised the front end up so both front tires were off the ground. Turned the wheels clock to clock and back to center refill pump. Did this slowly about a dozen times until the level in the pump stabilized. Lowered car started turned wheel to wheel and topped off fluid. Took two times before fluid level stabilized. Did not get any foaming.

BTW don't loose the castle nut that holds the steering arm like I did. Thanks Philip Valentine for the replacement.

The brake pedal only requires a little pressure now. I heard the stories and they are true. It's night and day from original factory setup. It's going to take some getting used to.

Just thought I'd share my experience. It may help someone in the future.

Pete

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I had put one of the Hydrotech units on my 72 Camaro.Amazing brakes! once you get em figured out you will love them.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Thanks for the post.....and congrats! Hydroboost is on my list for my second Chevelle, so hopefully I'll be using this post soon! enjoy!!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I would love to put another hydrotech unit on my Chevelle. But I put a Billet Specialties Tru Trac system on the car and it says not for use with hydroboost, not quite sure why

·
Registered
276 Posts
I would love to put another hydrotech unit on my Chevelle. But I put a Billet Specialties Tru Trac system on the car and it says not for use with hydroboost, not quite sure why
Sad did not know this was gonna go hydroboost this year

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
What size bore is your master cylinder? I have a 1" and thinking about going 1 1/8" (which I bought from Hydratech). It can certainly nail your teeth into the windshield if you're not careful.

Also, I have a Billet Specialties Serpentine System on my car and have hydroboost, but my Power Steering Pump is from a 80's K10 truck. Let me know if you need more info....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts