Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. It's time to put my 383 back together and back in a car. I'm looking at going to a hydraulic roller this time around, had a mechanical flat tappet last time. So here is a run down of the specs
Scat forged crank
Manely rods
Flat tops 10.25:1 compression
Edelbrock performer rpm cylinder heads
It was dynod with a Edelbrock torquer 2 intake but I'm not going back with that. It made [email protected] and [email protected] I don't remember the specs of the cam that was in it but it was aggressive. It also had long tubes which I will be going back with.

I am leaning towards the performer rpm intake or a air gap intake.

It's going to have a 5 speed tko 600 behind it. I'm also going to run a Holley and may want to spray it later on.

My goal is to be at or exceed my old power rating. And to turn 6,000+

I don't care if it has a rough idle but it needs to be streetable

So what hydraulic roller cam would you suggest to meet my goal? Keeping in mind I would like to spray the motor in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,531 Posts
Luanti has a nice hyd, roller that will work well in a 383 and be tame.

Its specs are 280/288 and 226/234 for .530/.530 lift on a 112 LSA. I would get it cut on a 110 LSA though and install it at 106 ICL.

Should have a nice lope at idle and still be friendly with that manual tranny.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Heads are the killer....AARON is right on track with what he stated, we run a Howards #180325-10 which is a OE Roller 225/[email protected] .525/.530 (1.5 ratio rocker, we run a 1.6 bringing the lift up a little bit) on a 110LSA and it has a very broad power range making peak power at about 5600-5700 RPM with a Performer RPM intake, 680cfm vacuum secondary carb, 10.1 compression and will make about 460HP/490TQ with our ATK/Pro-Filer heads that flow way better than the Edelbrocks. Should put you in the 430-440HP range and run very well.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Hey guys. It's time to put my 383 back together and back in a car. I'm looking at going to a hydraulic roller this time around, had a mechanical flat tappet last time. So here is a run down of the specs
Scat forged crank
Manely rods
Flat tops 10.25:1 compression
Edelbrock performer rpm cylinder heads
It was dynod with a Edelbrock torquer 2 intake but I'm not going back with that. It made [email protected] and [email protected] I don't remember the specs of the cam that was in it but it was aggressive. It also had long tubes which I will be going back with.

I am leaning towards the performer rpm intake or a air gap intake.

It's going to have a 5 speed tko 600 behind it. I'm also going to run a Holley and may want to spray it later on.

My goal is to be at or exceed my old power rating. And to turn 6,000+

I don't care if it has a rough idle but it needs to be streetable

So what hydraulic roller cam would you suggest to meet my goal? Keeping in mind I would like to spray the motor in the future.

Hi Scott, I would just give you a "tip" about checking the cam/rod clearance on 2 cylinders, sounds like a simple straight-forward swap but going from a flat-tappet to any roller (more so on a hyd-roller) you need to know exactly the room between the rods and the lobes beforehand.

We don't use the Manley rods at all, and not sure what you have, "H" or "I", but it's an area you'll need to look at closely. We have a build on the stand this week, Scat 6.000" "H" and a fairly small Comp hyd-roller, and have only about .015"/.020" clearance. We will end up giving it slightly more.

I would also add this, you'll pick up about 30 HP for free with the roller setup.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Wishing all here a Happy New Year.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will check cam clearance with my current cam. Unfortunately I don't remember if it's a small base circle cam or not. I built this motor in 2008. Yeah I know these heads are far from the greatest. How much would the benefit from a mild port and polish job? Thank you for the cam choice. I'll look at it closely

·
Super Moderator
13,143 Posts
Scott,
Do yourself a favor. Pick a cam manufacturer or two and call them with as much information about your engine and car, tell them what characteristics you are looking for and then let them suggest a camshaft. You can read the replies here and add them to your confusion but unless someone has the same exact combination as you, their recommendation really does not mean a whole lot.

I have been doing this for a living for almost 30 years and I built my own engines and a few for friends for 15 years prior to that and I still will not try to pick a camshaft on any engine other than something that is basically stock. I have a preferred cam company and I call them anytime I need to pick a camshaft or if a customer asks for a recommendation. Cam technology has been changing rapidly and what might have worked well even 5 years ago might not be the thing you need today.

Just a thought,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scott,

Do yourself a favor. Pick a cam manufacturer or two and call them with as much information about your engine and car, tell them what characteristics you are looking for and then let them suggest a camshaft. You can read the replies here and add them to your confusion but unless someone has the same exact combination as you, their recommendation really does not mean a whole lot.

I have been doing this for a living for almost 30 years and I built my own engines and a few for friends for 15 years prior to that and I still will not try to pick a camshaft on any engine other than something that is basically stock. I have a preferred cam company and I call them anytime I need to pick a camshaft or if a customer asks for a recommendation. Cam technology has been changing rapidly and what might have worked well even 5 years ago might not be the thing you need today.

Just a thought,

I saw lunati had a online form to fill out so that's what I did. What has changed about cam technology? I'm not meaning to sound sarcastic I'm genuinely curious

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
wouldnt use the performer intake
just a backyarder like most here but seems a trend is to back away from the crazy fast ramped cams that try to act bigger than they are and go with something that works....and lives a little while. bought into that soup back in the 90s never again even the custom route same thing.

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
just a backyarder like most here but more seem to be backing away from the crazy fast ramped cams that try to act bigger than they are and go with something that works. All they do is make noise and kill parts. For what another 10 lbs maybe? Unless its a huge mismatch to begin with...and lives a little while. bought into that soup back in the 90s never again even the custom route same thing.

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
just a backyarder like most here but seems a trend is to back away from the crazy fast ramped cams that try to act bigger than they are and go with something that works....and lives a little while. bought into that soup back in the 90s never again even the custom route same thing.
I wouldn't use a lunati voodoo under ANY circumstance ever.

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
Used one once..a weeny 256. made good torque but good god the noise-
XE FT worst ever they all went flat fast even an XFI hydraulic roller went flat unreal.
At a point just build a bigger motor lol
Went back to Isky never been happier

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
These retrofit roller cams from Howards Cams is a good place to start.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just heard back from lunati they suggest the retro hydraulic roller voodoo 282/290

Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller. Lopey idle. Great street machine cam! Likes upgraded intake carburetor and exhaust. Needs 9.5:1+ or better compression and 2500 RPM stall speed converter and a 3.42 or better rear gear ratio.
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 282/290
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 231/239
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .535/.550
LSA/ICL: 110/106
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: 2400-6200

·
Premium Member
11,531 Posts
Just heard back from lunati they suggest the retro hydraulic roller voodoo 282/290

Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller. Lopey idle. Great street machine cam! Likes upgraded intake carburetor and exhaust. Needs 9.5:1+ or better compression and 2500 RPM stall speed converter and a 3.42 or better rear gear ratio.
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 282/290
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 231/239
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .535/.550
LSA/ICL: 110/106
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: 2400-6200

That RPM range may come down in a 383. Most of those numbers are based on a 350. Good question for Lunati.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
What's wrong with Voodoo cams? Just intrested.
I'm curious too. I still remember 10 years ago when Harold was here telling everyone that Voodoo lobes were the greatest invention the industry has ever seen.

Seems like there is too much opportunity for trashed parts and a lighter wallet is everything isn't 100% perfect with these voodoo, xtreme, etc aggressive cams.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have a 383 with AFR 195 heads, 6" rods, 10.6 CR and run the above Voodoo roller cam. Lopey idle and decent street manners. I too, heard that Voodoo cams were some of best on the market and have never had a issue. Never had the engine dyno'd but Mike Lewis (who spec'd and balanced the engine) suggested that it would be putting down somewhere in the 475 HP range. I just swapped in a TKO 600 from a CPT 200-4R so that should change the feel of it somewhat. I also have a Chris Straub cam that is a little smaller but it runs awesome as well.

Reactions: Wolfplace
1 - 19 of 19 Posts