Team Chevelle banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2 year old Craftsman low profile jack (1.5 ton) that no longer wants to "pump up". It worked fine one day...came back a couple weeks later to use it and noticed a bit of fluid on the floor (it was a wood floor so I don't know how much was lost)..anyway I was hoping to fix it but not even sure where to start. A buddy of mine said it would be cheaper just to buy a new one. Just curious if anyone has had any success repairing them.

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
I was at Sears when they were demoing their new jacks and the guy broke 2 during the demo. Needless to say we were not impressed. I just retired the jack I bought from NAPA in 1969 and replaced it with a new one from NAPA.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was at Sears when they were demoing their new jacks and the guy broke 2 during the demo. Needless to say we were not impressed. I just retired the jack I bought from NAPA in 1969 and replaced it with a new one from NAPA.
WOW!!! that was one well built jack! :yes:

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
There is a small fill hole.. with a rubber plunger type thingy covering it up.
Buy some jack oil. Extend the arm. Fill it.
You will be fine.

·
Premium Member
13,139 Posts
Wow! Maybe I'll go to Napa and buy one of theirs.
Be prepared to pay a significant more for an American made quality jack maybe 10 times the price you would pay for a wallmart cheapie.

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
Be prepared to pay a significant more for an American made quality jack maybe 10 times the price you would pay for a wallmart cheapie.
But you get what you pay for! My NAPA jack lasted almost 39 years.:beers:

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
When my old one let go, I was just putting jackstands under the car. I went out and bought another right then, and I didn't look for the cheapest one, either.
Man, I'm glad NAPA is open 7 days a week now!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is where I think Harbor Freight tools comes in handy! If you have one near you.
What is that? I have seen it on the invoices my wife deals with for her accounting business.

·
Premium Member
1,712 Posts
I had a Sears floor jack for exactically 2 days. What a heavy piece of china crap! I took it back and then purchased an aluminum jack from Hargor Freight. I think its called a General or something like that. Its a 2 ton, has 4 wheels (instead of two smaller and one big roller), its blue anodized and best of all, nice and light. Had it for about 4-5 years now. Love it and I hate to say, I'm pretty sure its also a China special.

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
I was in napa a few years ago, and this guy comes in and buys a 2 ton floor jack for around $300, hard to remember for sure, its been a while.

Anyway the guy looked like he just crawled out from under an engine change, so when he left I asked the owner of the napa store, why didn't that guy buy a bigger jack for that kind of money.

He said that guys in the salvage business, he knows whats he's doing.

I bought one myself, then after a while bought another one just like it.

I had a ton ton dually four door I fixed up mechanically and a little body work on, anyway I used that first napa jack for all of the work on it, and also worked on a bunch of pickup trucks with the napa jacks, they really hang in there, never ever had a problem with one.

I'm one of these guys that wasn't smart enough to put in a lift:mad:, so I'm jack standed up and plenty of floor jacks.

I've went through a few cheaper jacks, I know one I had, I paid about $175 for it, got this brain flash to put in a shallow well pump for the garden, me and the boys pounded down about 20 some feet of pipe into the ground, couldn't get a good enough flow, so I got the cherry picker and floor jack out to pull the pipe, the pipe plus a driving point is not that expensive, but I thought I could pull it out, not.

One of my friends, he's about 220 lbs, he was holding down the back end of the cherry picker, and I was on the wanna be floor jack, and we had some major tension on that pipe, and bang, the chain lets loose, right after I bent the uprights on the wanna be floorjack, knocked by buddy backwards right up in the air, and when he lit, it knocked the wind out of him, I thought he was done for, he was really wheezing.

I now have about 50' of well pipe sunk in the back yard, with new driving points on them, thats when I decided city water wasn't that expensive.

Rob

·
Registered
94 Posts
What is that? I have seen it on the invoices my wife deals with for her accounting business.
They are one of the most awesome stores ever! Most of their hand tools are cheap chinese stuff, but you can get great deals on a lot of well built stuff. I have had one of their floor jacks and engine cranes for several years now, never failed. You can get other good stuff there too, like torque wrenches, digital calipers, and some car accessories. www.harborfreight.com

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Needless to say the quality of the old stuff was better, even the overseas stuff. Had my "Viking" for 25 years. Paid $99 for it at Nationwise Auto Parts (remember them) never had a bit of problem with it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm prepared. The jack the I bought that only lasted 2 years was from PepBoys. It was one of Torin's aluminum racing jacks that I bought cause I was in a bind. It was $150 so the way I look at it is pay $150 every 2 years or spend the big money up front and have a jack that lasts alot longer.

Heck, the Walmart jack I had lasted me about 10 years before it went and that's when I went to PepBoys.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.