Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been using solid rollers for a while now..but my chevelle motor will be a hyd flat tappet setup for bracket racing in Street Eliminator, my combination will be providing a mph that is (hopefully...;) ) much higher than the Dial-in ET will indicate.

So I am reaching to see if there have been any significant advances in hyd flat tappet lifter technology in the last 5 years that I have not really been paying attention to..

Going to run an Isky or a Crower cam which I haven't bought yet.

I have heard about lifters with a very small bleed hole that oils the lobe any info on those or experience with them?

Any real truth to what the Rhodes type of lifters out there do as far as effectively reducing duration at low rpm levels?

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
Rhodes: they do but they're noisy, dependant on oil viscosity and therefore oil temp. Some claim that they collapse randomly, but the 4 or 5 sets I've fooled with didn't have any problem with that.

Main problem is the variability.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rhodes: they do but they're noisy, dependant on oil viscosity and therefore oil temp. Some claim that they collapse randomly, but the 4 or 5 sets I've fooled with didn't have any problem with that.

Main problem is the variability.
Thanks Tom...

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I`ve used a few sets of the Rhoads lifters and they seem to work as designed.
They are noisy like a solid lifter with an extra .010 lash, once you`re up and away they are quiet.

They trim about .035 of lift and about 10-15 degrees of duration all back in around 3500-4000 RPM.

The last set used was on a 385" in a 70 Chevelle, with only 9.5-1 compression, 3.55 gears and a 3000 converter the cam was probably too big to work well with std lifters...296/304 adv. and 239/242 @ .050

Leaving at just above idle, the car would pop the left tire up about 3".. plenty of bottom power considering.

There`s a hyd roller version available that they claim to be capable of 9000 RPM!!! wow..

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check out ISKY (and probably Crower has it also) Premium core. Custom ground cams are about 150.00 on the better core. You can .580-.600 lift in flat tappet hyd. As far as flat tappet hyd's, I have never lost a Crane hyd cam.
Yes, Exactly what I plan to do except without that much lift.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tom,

Any ideas as to what et / mph you are going to run?

What about the engine specs? I have a couple of Hyd. FTs sitting around...Lunati & comp. The Lunati went 12.50s @ 110 with an M20 & 3.73 in an 8.1 454.
Thanks Chris,

I am looking for low 12's mph in the 116 range. Is Lunati cam new? No Comp for me anymore.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Tom: Lunati is used. I agree on comp....tried a 305magnum & XE 284 in the past and was never too pleased. May have been the low comp. 454 but hey, that's what I had at the time.

Chris: It was an SP grind (special purpose) and the specs I are 241/241 / .520/.520 / 110.

Engine had a nice snap to it. Ran this with 702 heads (oval closed chambers) with a bowl clean up and 2.19/1.88s. Last cam I ran with a 4 Speed. Best times were granny shifted as power shifting the stock M20 was not an option, to me anyway.

here is what the car looked like as of 2 weeks ago:
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h239/Chris_69_SS/Chevelle_1.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Johnson Anti Pump lifters are your best choice in lifters that will take some rpm without pumping up. They will run you $4.50 a lifter.
Thanks I will check them out...

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Tom,I think the Ultradyne/Lunati grind thats 231/239 @.050 .550/.575 110 LSA would get you where you need to be.
Tom, The UltraDyne cam used with the Rhoads was the next one up, only in a small block version. But we had it on a 108 sep.

I`ll bet the big block version would work pretty good for you with 296/306 adv 239/249 @ .050 .558/.580 lift.

I`ve even heard of putting the (rhoads) on one side only, Interesting...

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tom, The UltraDyne cam used with the Rhoads was the next one up, only in a small block version. But we had it on a 108 sep.

I`ll bet the big block version would work pretty good for you with 296/306 adv 239/249 @ .050 .558/.580 lift.

I`ve even heard of putting the (rhoads) on one side only, Interesting...
Thanks, Once I get the bore size and head CC and deck height on the block and the pistons I am going to use I will make a cam decision.

All the recommendations I sincerely appreciate

1 - 14 of 14 Posts