Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all , need some help , iv got a 66 chevelle ss ,im going from a power glide to a 4 speed muncie, im going to reinstall console back in car .what im wondering is can any of you 66 guys tell me if on the hurst comp plus shifter body were shifter bolt to does it have to be offset or streight up thanks for any help:beers:

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
Do you have a correct 4 speed console? Your automatic console has a base that is shaped different than a 4 speed console.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I have a 67 with a console and the shifter is straight, no offset, and works perfectly within the console hole. My son has a 66 with no console, we moved my shifter to his car trying to troubleshoot some other problem and it worked perfectly as well. Both shifters were purchased to fit the transmission without specifying whether the cars had a console. You should not have any problems unless the newer shifter applications have changed.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Yes, everything matters. If you look at an old Hurst catalog they had pages of shifters designed for specific cars, often a car with a consoles used a different shifter than a car without a console.

Did you buy your shifter new or used? If used, did you check it against the online Hurst catalog to make sure it would work?

Steve R

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, everything matters. If you look at an old Hurst catalog they had pages of shifters designed for specific cars, often a car with a consoles used a different shifter than a car without a console.

Did you buy your shifter new or used? If used, did you check it against the online Hurst catalog to make sure it would work?

Steve R
steve i have not bought shifter yet shopping around trying to get correct one, the trans is a 1969 m21 came out of 69 z28

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 67 with a console and the shifter is straight, no offset, and works perfectly within the console hole. My son has a 66 with no console, we moved my shifter to his car trying to troubleshoot some other problem and it worked perfectly as well. Both shifters were purchased to fit the transmission without specifying whether the cars had a console. You should not have any problems unless the newer shifter applications have changed.
iv got a 1969 m21 muncie out of 69 z28 so just order shifter for the m21 trans

·
Premium Member
14,054 Posts
You should get the shifter handle for the car the trans is going in, good luck.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you trying to find a used shifter or planning on buying new?

Steve R
well steve if i can find a refurb shifter i will go with that,new shifters almost cost as much as i gave for the trans , thats insane .

·
Registered
587 Posts
If you have bolt on shifter shafts use the install kit for the 1969 - 72 chevelle 373-7834 but use the 391-7308 stick assembly. Unless you are dealing with someone very knowledgeable with the Hurst line, which even Hurst is not, you can expect problems. I usually stock them. Many people have also been using the hardened tool steel bushings over the powdered metal crap Hurst is now selling.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts