Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 67 chevelle SS with a muncie. It needs a shifter.
Will the Hurst comp/plus fit in the factory 4-speed console?
I noticed Year One has a Hurst muncie shifter kit. Will
this work?

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Check the Hurst web site. The Hurst comp plus is what you want.

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.723089/it.A/id.149/.f?sc=8&category=2546

You will need both the shifter and installation kit for your car. You will need to cut about a 2 inch x 3 inch notch out of the trans hump to enlarge the hole in the floor so the shifter body will fit (the Hurst comp+ is larger than the muncie shifter). I would buy the shifter and installation kit and then cut the floor as you install it so you cut out only enough floor metal so the shifter fits. It is not what I would call major body surgery, but it is far from a simple bolt in. If you have never done this before, plan for an all day job.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Brian,

I ran the Hurst Comp+ on Muncies in my car and I never had to cut anything. Take your time and if you can, support the trans and disconnect the crossmember so it can be moved rearward. This will allow you to move the trans up and down a little.

I am running a Richmond 5 Spd now with a Comp+ shifter. For that install I only removed a very small piece at the lower rear corner.

Just my experience.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for your replys. I have a hurst comp/plus shifter, installation kit and
shifter hump ordered. Needed a shifter hump because the original was cut out
and the floor all butchered up from by the previous owner. Luckily I have a four
door parts car to cut a partial trans tunnel out of to fix the floor for a professional
factory look.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts