Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did 1969 Chevelles come from the factory in Hugger Orange. Some one I meet claims this is the only year this color was available and they have one.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I can't find any orange for 69 on the Chevelle. I thought Hugger orange was a Camaro color and truck color only

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes, in 69 there was a special order color "Orange" for the SS Malibu (chevelle) model only. You couldn't get orange on the ElCamino or the 300 Deluxe, SS chevelle only. JSL is part correct, "Hugger Orange" only came on Camaros, trucks and the 69 Vette. 69 was also the only year that "Bright Yellow" was offered on the Malibus but only for the SS.

Dan

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
The way I remember it, hugger orange and daytona yellow were special order colors for the Chevelle in 1969
The color was called "Monaco orange" but was the same code # 72. Some or maybe all of the special order colors had a "paint delete" option selected where the cowl tag has a line stamped in it replacing the paint code number

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,662 Posts
I own an originally Monaco Orange '69 300 Deluxe hardtop SS. It has paint code 72 on the cowl tag and after disassembling the body down to bare sheet metal inside and stripping the paint outside, it's obvious that was the original color. Monaco Orange and Daytona Yellow were special order options on SS only, '69 only, at $42.15 extra. I did see an orange '70 SS at Chevellabration that supposedly was some sort of COPO order color. It had a strange 6 digit number on the cowl tag where the paint code normally is. von

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
Von - that is interesting that you have the "72" stamped in the cowl tag. My orange 69 has the line stamped in the cowl tag. Which assy plant was your car made in? Mine was Baltimore

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a '69 Chevelle that is painted Monaco Orange. This is the same color as Hugger Orange. The Monaco Orange and the Daytona Yellow were special paint schemes that could be ordered only when the SS options were also ordered. I am only aware that this was offered in 1969. There are some 70's and newer that are painted Monaco Orange, but their cowl tag doesn't show the correct paint code for the Monaco Orange (code 72). In some cases the 70 and newer cars have a 'non-standard' paint code and this could mean that they were produced under special or COPO order. My cowl tag reads:

BODY BY FISHER
ST 69 12367 KAN 265790 BODY
TR 790 72 72 PAINT
0A3 07635 L

GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION

-eof-

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am the owner of a paint code 76 bright yellow 69 SS 396 it is the same color as daytona yellow this was a special order color and only available on SS chevelles the orange was also available this way thanks Stan Park

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,662 Posts
joe58, My car was also assembled at Baltimore (3rd week in July, 69). It has a single 72 on the cowl tag for paint code. The tag appears unaltered. I also uncovered on the firewall bare metal in grease pencil the letters ORG. von

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Masterwoo i am going to have to disagree with you. my buddy has a fully documented 69 El Camino ss396 in hugger orange. i love that color

------------------
Hot66ss
Los Angeles,CA

66 Super Sport
67 Malibu
Aces Member 2380
Team Chevelle member #262
members.aol.com/chvellss

·
Registered
233 Posts
I seen a fully documented 69 SS 396 Chevelle in ralley green.I thought that was a Camaro only color,but the build sheet said special order and the cowl tag had dashes in the paint code.I believe any color could be special ordered as long as it was available for that year manufacture.The dealer album states that Monaco orange and Daytona yellow were available for the SS396 Chevelle,so there should be no question.Ralley green was only available for the Camaro,but I seen a documented Chevelle in this color so anything goes!Don't believe anything you read!Remember COPO.Does the literature say anything about 427 Chevelles???

------------------
Dean Ciampi(Spring Hill,FL)
Autumn Gold 1970 LS6 Chevelle
Team Chevelle Gold #52 Aces #3094

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
There was an artical in MCR (Jan.98) that interviewed Jim Mattison who worked at the COPO office from 67 to 72. Jim said that the Pontiac color Verdoro Green was often requested by Chevy customers. For about $100.00 a good customer (dealer) could have Chevy paint a car almost any color they wanted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.