Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well.. along with my 65 drag car, I have a 65 that's kind of a 1/2 assed pro-tour/driver thing..

I don't think I'd ever run the street car at the track.. I have one for that, but curious if someone has run something close to this combo..

It's a stock bottom end 350, flat top 4 relieft piston that's about 35 in the hole as best as I can tell.. fresh hone and new rings and bearings.

Cam will be a Comp XE268H w/1.6 rockers

I couldn't resist the siren song of cheap ebay heads..($535 to my door) They're speedmaster 190cc, 64cc chamber, and a 2.05/1.60 valve. I did just pick them up from the machine shop, I just wanted them checked to make sure they'd actually seal or if there were other issues.. because afterall.. they are ebay heads.. lol But they checked out just fine, which that in and of itself kind of shocks me.. pleasently..

Topping it will be a edelbrock preformer and a jet stage 2 Q-Jet.

Back by a 200r4 w/ a 10" 3k lock up converter and a either a 3.73 or 3.50 gear

All indications seem to point to a reasonable matched set-up, but just curious if someone here's run something like that.. how'd ya do? lol

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
What cam will you be using?
My last engine was a 2 bolt main 355 with the Pistons you mentioned custom HR cam,rev kit and with my AFR's with 2.05 valves hurricane intake ,780 Dp tci 10" streetfighter converter 3.73's and went 11.78 @113/114

I also used .015" steel shim head gaskets to bump compression and quench.

·
Banned
4,739 Posts
I couldn't resist the siren song of cheap ebay heads..($535 to my door) They're speedmaster 190cc, 64cc chamber, and a 2.05/1.60 valve.
I searched ebay for those heads and didn't find a match.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I searched ebay for those heads and didn't find a match.
I'll get you who I got them through..

Off the top of my head it was a place out of Rialto CA.. The heads came less studs and guide plates and in *speedmaster* boxes

I can't get on ebay from the computer I'm on now..

Speedmaster PCE281.2004: Small Block Chevy 350 Aluminum Cylinder Heads 64cc / 190cc Hydraulic Flat Tappet Complete Heads | JEGS

This is the same thing, but from Jegs.. The ebay listing read they had 2.05 valves.. They may only be 2.02.. but I really don't care.. they're better than the 993's I was going to run! lol

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll get you who I got them through..

Off the top of my head it was a place out of Rialto CA.. The heads came less studs and guide plates and in *speedmaster* boxes

I can't get on ebay from the computer I'm on now..

Speedmaster PCE281.2004: Small Block Chevy 350 Aluminum Cylinder Heads 64cc / 190cc Hydraulic Flat Tappet Complete Heads | JEGS

This is the same thing, but from Jegs.. The ebay listing read they had 2.05 valves.. They may only be 2.02.. but I really don't care.. they're better than the 993's I was going to run! lol

Looks like they've raised the prices.. but this is who I used to buy the heads..

Complete Aluminum Cylinder Heads SBC Chevy 350 190cc 64cc 2.05/1.60 - Straight | eBay

·
Registered
786 Posts
When do you think you'll be up and running and be able to report back on the ebay heads? I too see $1000 for BBC heads and sure sounds better than $2400..

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It won't be until sometime during the spring.. but they did get a clean bill of health from the machinist. Don't get me wrong.. they're not some gangbuster set of heads. BUT they are definitely better than the stock smog heads I was preparing to run.

Longevity might be an issue, but again, time will tell.. I have no idea how well the guides will wear, or springs will last, but I'm not going to beat on the car.. I'm just going to putt around and have a cam that lopes a little bit. lol

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
I have ran many cheap builds.. in fact most were cheap builds.
I usually ran ported GM heads so your heads are a step up I would hope.
I ran the performer intake 2 different times and both times I hated it.
A mildly ported Q jet intake will run circles around it..When the RPM intake came out I jumped on it.
Big difference.

I have ran the XE268H in a 327" with ported 492 heads RPM intake 750 edelbrock sweet spot on the shift was 6500 rpm.
A bit lower than what I expected.
The 270H worked better.. and for sure the 280H was king in that line of cams in a max street effort sbc where you still need some decent MPG Say 15 mpg.

Those comp cams are noisy so something to just get used to.
You say flat tops.. I almost always ran flat tops in my SBC but I liked the old Made in USA cast 345NP If it is a Hypereutectic piston I would look for something else.

Yes they (hyperuetectic) will live just fine if you are conservative on the tune and do not drive it like you stole it.
I am not conservative and I do beat the crap out of my stuff.

I ran them 1 time and never again will those enter one of my engines.

For the most part it should make a good engine for you with the parts you chose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts