Team Chevelle banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For better or worse, not too long ago I bought a Miller Multimatic 220 ac/dc welder. I've never welded before in my life up until the last couple days. I tried MIG first, and while I need a lot of practice, it was pretty easy to get 2 pieces of metal to weld together. Next day was TIG aluminum, and it is MUCH harder. It truly appears to be an art form that requires some serious skill.

How are your welding skills, and how long did it take to get good? Pics are encouraged!

My MIG weld which was like my 10th bead ever.

My TIG after like 2 hours. lol.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Not bad for your first time. Tig is actually quite easy once you get the hang of it. Tig also depends very much on the type of metal, electrode, gas (I use 100% argon), and cleanliness.

The vertical bead (mig) isn't all that bad (in my eyes nothing to be ashamed of for your first time), and the aluminum bead isn't bad, but you need to keep your speed and feed steady (hence why you see puddles).

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not bad for your first time. Tig is actually quite easy once you get the hang of it. Tig also depends very much on the type of metal, electrode, gas (I use 100% argon), and cleanliness.

The vertical bead (mig) isn't all that bad (in my eyes nothing to be ashamed of for your first time), and the aluminum bead isn't bad, but you need to keep your speed and feed steady (hence why you see puddles).
Clean aluminum seems to make a huge difference.

Figuring out the feed timing for TIG, as well as keeping the arc in a straight line should definitely make for prettier welds. So much happens so quickly when TIGing aluminum.

·
Premium Member
7,028 Posts
Reactions: kmakar

·
Premium Member
7,028 Posts
Were you surprised at how many amps it took on alum? I was.

·
Premium Member
7,028 Posts
I've been looking to upgrade my helmet (about 10 year old), I'm liking that one.
I've had for about a month but just used it, compare the 2 pics on what you see & it's spot on. So much more clarity.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I've had for about a month but just used it, compare the 2 pics on what you see & it's spot on. So much more clarity.
Yeah, I'm so used to the left photo (not 4c lens). Is the grind setting adjustable (have you tried it)? Wonder how it'd be with a plasma cutter....

·
Premium Member
7,028 Posts
Well aren't you just the showoff, that's pretty!

·
Premium Member
7,028 Posts
Yeah, I'm so used to the left photo (not 4c lens). Is the grind setting adjustable (have you tried it)? Wonder how it'd be with a plasma cutter....
Haven't tried the grind. That Amazon price is the lowest I've found, 100 more from lincoln.

·
Premium Member
7,028 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
I am sure anyone who welds for a living or because they enjoy it will tell you...Practice will make better welds. lot's of practice. i get my nephew the welder to do mine. I can weld but not like him.
He welds pressure vessels etc. so body work is a challenge to him and not something he's used to Thanks Kyle!

·
Premium Member
14,011 Posts
I'll post my first time MIG welding process video, just encase.

Thanks for starting this thread, and for posting that vid. This thread is right on time for me, since I just purchased my first MIG welder, and I plan on getting my feet wet. In that video he mentioned that he made circle motions on one bead, and on another he did a side-to-side motion, and it turned out that the latter method seemed to yield the best bead. I always thought that using one straight steady motion was the way to do it, but I guess I was wrong about that. So I guess now I know what to try on my first test pieces.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've always been taught to get better at welding all you need to do is take a piece of paper and a new #2 pencil. grab the pencil by the eraser and do a whole page of Cs or figure 8s

1 - 20 of 74 Posts