Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem. I'm going to be rebuilding my car's suspension. As it stands right now, it looks like a stock car with a nice paint job. I want to improve the stance of my car without cutting coils or anything like that. I have a 68 with a small block,w/o a/c. I am looking for a nice AGGRESSIVE stance for my car.

I would like to know what combo of front & rear springs, shocks, and tire combo I would need to look similar to this?

images.traderonline.com/EMedia/Photos/220_5-2-990525_052/220_5-2-990525_000409880/00040988006.jpg

I could go for a stance that is a touch more agressive than this with a nice tire combo. At least 15x10's out back and something like 14x7's up front.

I like the look of a raised rear with the wide meats in stock wheel well's and a front that is slightly lowered. I am looking for an aggressive rake but not anything rediculous.

I'm sure that you guys know what I am talking about.

I NEED RECCOMMENDATIONS. MY CAR LOOKS STOCK!!! (no offense to the guys with stock stuff)

[This message has been edited by skunkynuggets (edited 05-09-99).]

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would rather stay away from purchasing drop spindles. I would rather try and get it to sit right by replacing the stock, worn out stuff.

Also, these mods are not just for cosmetics only. I would like my car to hook better with the stock stuff.

I heard that wagon springs are a bit stiffer and would get my car's butt in the air a bit more.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wagon springs are indeed stiffer than coupe springs. Also, even though a lot of people hate em, you can use air shocks, or better yet, air bags, to raise your back end up. I love the look of a chevelle with a sick rake and some fatty rear tires...

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Columbia University
New York, NY.
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hey Skunky...if you want a little rake on the rear, and don't want to drop spindles (I don't blame you) how about air bags? They're a breeze to install, you can change the look as the spirit moves you, and they don't cost any more than air shocks. (Also don't put undue stress on the shock mounts)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Great looking Chevelle Skunky!
I'd probably leave it alone. It looks fine.

------------------
Long time Chevelle fan and an owner since 1973 :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys,
I wish I could claim this car as my own. It is a picture of a chevelle that I found. I used it because it has a nice stance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 66, and wanted to put an agressive stance as well. Rather then jack up the rear with wagon springs, or lower the front with dropped spindles, I put six cylinder springs up front, and stocks in the rear. I have 15x7 in the front, and 15x8 in the back. I have 225 50R 15 for a front tire, and Hoosier 28in tires in the back. The stance is very agressive, but obnoxious. As for the six cylinder springs (I have a big block, but it will work with a small block too), they perform very well, nver bottomed out, and when I hit on it, the front jumps right up, and the rear squats hard. Alot of people suggested this configuration to me, and it works like a charm.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Hey skunky that 70 looks like stock ride hieght. The tire combo may be what is giving it that slight rake. I would say stock ride hieght in the rear, or wagon springs and remove a 1/2-1 coil in the front. I run moroso springs up front and removing 1 coil put the fender lip just at the top of the 26" tall front runner. Only way to get that stance you want is by cutting coils or finding a custom spring shop.

·
Registered
287 Posts
An idea... When I had a 5.0 Mustang I put Moroso drag springs in it front and rear. Only about 100$ /pair. The car really lifted the front end and 'planted' the rear on launch. My 60ft times increased and the car hooked noticibly harder. However, it did lower the car quite a bit.; Most people liked the lowered look. I did'nt but the springs were great for drag racing. I've put the rear drag springs in my Chevelle too. The rear did not lower and without the front springs the rear ca'nt plant as hard as my Stang did. I think if I put Moroso fronts on the front end will have a nice lowered look and will hook pretty hard. For you, you might get the benefits of both worlds---an aggressive lowered front end that lifts hard on acceleration. Looks and performance benefits too. Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Skunky,

I have a 66 big block with new stock springs all around. But i'm running 215x60x15 (15x6 wheel) in front and 275x60x15 (15x8 wheel) out back. It has a great stance as it sits now just by the tire size. Check out the pics on my web page www.ecsi.net/homedir/jake/index.html

Good Luck,
Jake

------------------
Tubby's Drive In
www.ecsi.net/homedir/jake

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have heard good things about airbags . Although on my 65 I have heavier spriings in the rear , stock in the front .Not a sick rake but almost .

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
New coils along with overload shocks (the ones with the springs) in the rear will raise the back up noticeably. But it will ride stiffer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.