Team Chevelle banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The set up is a 383 10.1 com, 190cc int / 64cc chamber with roller rockers
750 DP, Ed/airgap int, hooker 1 5/8 headers...

226/234
.525/.532
110lsa
hyd roller

what im interested in is just getting an idea of the idle would sound like.

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
The set up is a 383 10.1 com, 190cc int / 64cc chamber
750 DP, Ed/airgap int, hooker 1 5/8 headers...

what im interested in is just getting an idea of the idle would sound like.

Can anyone help?

it would be quite quiet, because it doesn't have a cam.

I think comp has some idle sound tracks on their website, may be just for the thumpr line though

·
Registered
227 Posts
there is a exhaust post going right now with some diff sounding 383's 350's ect .... I will have to do a vid of mine ... I have a 383 11:1 mild solid roller , single plane intake, 750 dp .. and a 406 too

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I would bet it sounds fairly similar but a little bit bumpier than my ZZ4 with a 218/228 hot cam and slightly lower compression than you. That zz is in my photobucket link in my sig, just have to look around for it. Ignore the video where I made it a 4 cylinder with a 1050 Dominator, but it still sounds good there too. There's at least 3 of the zz. I think it's a great sounding mild engine.

here ya go, save ya looking through my crap for it. about 30 sec into it I get back where you can hear the exhaust

http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/TimNotWolf/?action=view&current=MOV01067.flv

·
Registered
227 Posts
my 383 .. is a solid roller so the idle is smoother than a comaparable hydrolic flat tappet I run hooker super comp headers to 3" super 40's dumped at rear axle .... I run a tci 3500 stalled th 350 in it and love it instant throttle responce . I've had it out cold as 30-40 deg and starts pretty good .. two pump and crank it up .....I'd say driveability is pretty good on mine .. doesn't get hot at stoplights or anything very well mannered on the street you can tell by the slightly rough idle there is something waitign to be unleashed .... . the truck has a 286 extreme in a 406 I run a 2700 stall int eh 700r4 ..... 3" exhaust very nice lope in it ...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would bet it sounds fairly similar but a little bit bumpier than my ZZ4 with a 218/228 hot cam and slightly lower compression than you. That zz is in my photobucket link in my sig, just have to look around for it. Ignore the video where I made it a 4 cylinder with a 1050 Dominator, but it still sounds good there too. There's at least 3 of the zz. I think it's a great sounding mild engine.

here ya go, save ya looking through my crap for it. about 30 sec into it I get back where you can hear the exhaust

http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/TimNotWolf/?action=view&current=MOV01067.flv

It sounds good.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my 383 .. is a solid roller so the idle is smoother than a comaparable hydrolic flat tappet I run hooker super comp headers to 3" super 40's dumped at rear axle .... I run a tci 3500 stalled th 350 in it and love it instant throttle responce . I've had it out cold as 30-40 deg and starts pretty good .. two pump and crank it up .....I'd say driveability is pretty good on mine .. doesn't get hot at stoplights or anything very well mannered on the street you can tell by the slightly rough idle there is something waitign to be unleashed .... . the truck has a 286 extreme in a 406 I run a 2700 stall int eh 700r4 ..... 3" exhaust very nice lope in it ...
Frome what I have herd on videos 3" exh sounds great a nice deep tone.

·
Registered
227 Posts
if i was you I'd stay away from flowmasters .. go magna flow or dynomax or pypes .... not too happy with my 40 series they sound the same as the summit turbo's I had on it .. It matters alot if you have tails on it and how close the muffler is to the engine too. it matters on the sound if you have a h pipe or x pipe too. that cam should def put a lil rumble .....

that vid ..... one glass pack and one turbo muffler lol .. that was funny sounded pretty decent though .

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
that vid ..... one glass pack and one turbo muffler lol .. that was funny sounded pretty decent though .
the glasspack is just stuffed up in there:D
I don't remember if it's in the vid or not but I sometimes have a coat hanger cinching the glasspack into the header and I throw a bigo junk chain on the muffler to keep it from shaking then wrap some old insulation around the glasspack to "seal" it into the header. sometimes.

I decided to make my mess a bit more "perfessional" a few years ago and bought some matching muffs and little stub pieces with header flanges, clamps etc. Well next engine I did was my 421 and I had to use my 1 7/8 headers with 3 1/2 collectors, so the headers flanges I bought wouldn't work and I run the 421 w/o muffs as a 421 should be anyway and put all my shiny new mufflerage away until I did a tame engine where the small flange would work. I wish I knew wtf I did with those flanges and stub pieces because I've been looking for them all friggin year:D. got the muffs:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts