Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm converting from auto. colum shift to floor shift and console in my 72 elcamino.i bought the console harness and the extension harness.but i don't see where the extension harness goes to under the dash.looks like i'm going to have to cut and splice into the under dash harness. has anyone else done this conversion before ? any tips ? thanks

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Not all dash harnesses have the console lighting wiring/connector. The back up light and neutral safety switch will connect to the existing wires that are connected to the column mounted switch. The lighting connection consists of three wires. A gray wire for the shift indicator lighting that connects to the dash lighting. An orange wire that connects to an always hot wire for the rear curtsy light. A white wire that connects to the connects to the courtesy light ground circuit. Some options of each. The gray wire can connect to the LPS terminal on the fuse block or to the gray wire of the factory radio connection. The orange wire can connect to the BAT terminal on fuse block or to the cigarette lighter orange wire. The white wire can connect to the white wire at either side door jamb switch.

Just for information. The 72 console shifter didn't have the neutral safety/back up switch. That switch was on the column along with the seatbelt warning switch, three switches in one. It operates via a linkage from the trans back to the column.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea you're right, i see 3 plug ins at the coulm switch. so i need to leave the colum linkage hooked up ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts