Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to wire a dual electric fan setup to a manual toggle switch. I was wondering do i need to use a relay or a fuse? What should the amperage be on my switch. If I could, I would like to wire the fans individually.

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
19,748 Posts
I agree, the fans pull a lot of current initially and you'd be taking a real chance with a standard toggle switch - most are rated 25 or 30 amps tops. See if you can get a wiring diagram for a temp operated unit and simply splice your toggle switch(es) in place of the sender and fuze it/them.

I got this data on wiring a fan somewhere...don't remember but it looked good. Looks like you could eliminate the wiring to terminal 85.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have mine running to a relay, then to the switch. I also have a 30 amp fuse before the relay. There is a temp gauge rod coming out of the relay that just sticks into the radiator. With this, I can either have the fans on, off, or on automatic. It works perfectly. It never gets above 200 on auto, and on manual I can keep the temps around 160-170 in the dead heat with slow moving traffic. It's a blast!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I used to run my Perma-Cool and other cheap electric fans from a toggle or rocker switch. They were usually warm after a few minutes and I had to change 'em out regularly.

Since I've used relays to run the fans I haven't had to replace the rocker switch. I've only had to replace the relays once in three years or so, and they're cheaper than the rocker switches anyway (if you shop around enough).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts