Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an SS dash to replace my '70 sweep dash and was wondering how I can test these gauges while still out of the car and on the bench. I would like to know that all gauges will be working before I install the dash and have to remove it again. TIA :confused:

·
Registered
738 Posts
The speedo you can spin with your fingers and it should move. The tach & other eletrical guages you can run some long wires from your car.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by gUmBaLL68Malibu:
The tach & other eletrical guages you can run some long wires from your car.
No battery, no engine, no nothing in the car. I am in mid-restoration at this point. ;)

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
No great way without some better equipment. The oil pressure, temp, and fuel can be tested with a variable potentiometer. However, you may get the meter to move but won't know it's accurate.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
You will need a 12 v source such as a battery (fuse the pos lead), battery charger or power supply. It is easier if you have a mating connector for the gauge cluster but not necessary. Connect + (12v) to pin 5 (gauge power) or any of the terminals that pin 5 connects to (follow the traces from pin 5) and - (neg) to any clean metal surface of the cluster. To test the dash lights connect another + (12v) wire to pin 2 (Dash lights). To test the oil light (no oil gauge for ss clusters) connect a ground (metal case)to pin 6. To test the turn signal lights connect another +12v to pin 1 for left and pin 12 for right. To test the fuel gauge, connect one end of a 45 ohm resistor to pin 11 and the other end to ground (metal case).
This should registor 1/2. If you don't have any resistors, no connection will be past full and ground will be empty. To test the temp gauge, connect a 75 ohm resistor from pin 10 to ground, this should registor about 210 deg. 50 ohm = 250 deg, 75 ohm = 210 deg and 270 ohm = 100 deg.If you don't have a resistor, open will register far left and ground on pin 10 will register past 250 deg. To test the brake light connect a ground to pin 8. To test the high beam light connect +12v to pin 5. To test the amp gauge connect a AA battery + on pin 3 and - on pin 4, it will registor over 40 amps charge (depending on condition of battery), reverse the AA battery and it will register over 40 amps discharge. To test the tach you will need a pulse generator or a running car that has points or early (no computer) hei ignition. Hook the + from the car battery to pin 7 and - from the car battery to any clean metal surface of the gauge cluster. Hook the negative side of the coil (points ign) or tach terminal(hei ign) to pin 9. start car up and rev motor, tach should respond.
I have toyed with building a gauge cluster check out box and rent it out.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really wish someone could give me some specific information here !!!!!!

Thanks Steve !!!!
I know what I'm doing tonight.....let's see....ohms :confused: , ground :confused: pin #12 :eek:

Just kidding ;) Thanks again

·
Registered
30 Posts
Great post steve. I am also changing my sweep style dash to standard round gauges without a tach (green face...correct for 70...
). Can the original wiring harness from the sweep style dash be used on the round gauge dash since it does not have a tach and has similar gauges? I may get this car finished yet... :D

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
This needs to make it into the Tech Tips...

- John...

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
You can convert a sweep style harness to an idiot light ss or tach/gauge cluster harness. You need the schematic for both and a donor ss cluster connector. I have done this a couple of times and it is not too bad if you are comfortable with wiring. I have been able to find the donor connector at junk yards in early Camaros. Any 70-80 Camaro will have the 12 pin connector. Just peel back the harness and clip all the wires 6-12 inches back from the connector. If you can read a schemactic it's just a matter of locating the wires in the harness, and splicing them into the connector from the donor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.