Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my car painted, even though he masked it off, there is some paint on my bumpers and on the chrome on my motor that must have settled there somehow... how do I remove that without hurting the chrome finish. Oh yeah, the hood pins that I am using on the car are used and they have some hard paint on them, too. I guess the previous owner didn't like them chrome, but I want them to be chrome like the rest of the pin setup, how would I remove a heavy paint coat on those, as well? Thanks in advance for your replies.

------------------
Julie
'71 Chevelle
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Boulevard/7827/

·
Registered
367 Posts
Julie,
When I had my '72 Camino, I had paint all over the side moldings...some heavy, some light. I used some stuff called Never-Dull. It's a treated cotton wadding...won't harm or scratch the chrome, got my paint off, and left it in nice shape. Find it at any hardware store. Give it a try.

M

·
0 Posts
Depending on the kind of paint your using you can sometimes use accelerator on the paint. It's used to decrease drying time. Get some of this stuff on your paint and it turns it back into a liquid. Be careful. The shop that painted my car got some overspray inside the engine compartment. The broke out some accelerator and it virtually melted it away. Once it dries, the paint hardens again. I don't know if it hurts the paint once it redries so like I said, be careful and don't get it on anything you want to keep painted. Check with a paint shop for more info.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Julie-

DaDon is right. Eagle One manufactures the chrome polish called Never-Dull and it comes in a can as wadded cotton treated with polish. If the paint is too stubborn for this, try Wenol Automotive Polish, which is the best chrome polish I've used. I bought mine at the Carlisle Swap Meet, but you can purchase it from Eastwood Restoration Products- www.eastwoodco.com

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,651 Posts
I used laquer thinner on #0000 steel wool. von

·
Registered
50 Posts
I use a product called "MEK". Stands for Methyl Ethyl Ketone. This stuff is potent and easily removes paint old and new, heavy or light overspray. Makes lacquer thinner look like milk!

·
Registered
934 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.