Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a HEI distributor out of a 78 Sub 454 that I bought and rebuilt for my 66 Chevelle. I still have the orig. points dist. in the car now but am considering putting this HEI in it. I just don't think I need a MSD Billet for an everyday driver/1-2 weedends a month drag racer.

So what can I do to set up this HEI to give me good performance? Will I give up my external coil for an internal coil in the dist? What perf. parts should I buy? Also, it is a big cap? HEI, will it fit without rubbing my firewall or is there a small HEI cap I could put on?

Or should I just buy a pertroix ignition HEI conversion and put it in my points dist?

Real confused on what my best choice would be.

Kerry
66 Chevelle

·
Registered
106 Posts
I used a HEI on my '67 big block Chevelle and had no issues with firewall clearence. All I did was to take the coil resistor wire and the wire from the starter(both that go to positive side of the coil),put the two together and ran them to the HEI positive. It's been this way for 2 yrs and no problems.
With the addition of a MSD coil it works excellent.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
You could send you orig dist to Dave Ray and have him convert it. He will tell you that the GM HEI will be problematic over 5000 rpm's and he will build the dist to your engine's spec's and your intended driving. www.davessmallbodyheis.com

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction.
Maryland Chevelle Club

1 - 3 of 3 Posts