Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently sand blasting all the suspension parts. Can I use POR15 on them?

Also can I use POR15 on the other brackets, etc??

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Justa suggestion. If you mix Muratic acid and water in a big bucket you can soak things like upper a-arms, spindles, caliper brackets, sway bar brackets, bumper brackets, etc.. I used a 5 part water to 1 part acid solution. I use it to clean my hot tub filter, so I think it is ok on plastics. Not sure what it'd do to paint.

Nasty stuff, so use chemical resistant rubber gloves. It de-rusted everything so far to a like-new metal finish, requiring minor touch up with wire wheel. Add more muratic acid to the mix when it stops bubblin'.

So far everything I have done this way, air dried then coated with POR-15 looks great.

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu

www.wright.edu/~adams.6/chevy.htm
TEAM Chevelle Member #0086
Genx member (Founder 4 Ohio)

·
Registered
934 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Muratic acid should be cheap and availible at any hardware-bilding-type store (Lowes. Handyman, etc).

I did rinse the parts with water from hose after the soak. Wear goggles! Then just air dried, & touched up with wire wheel like I said. Course all my stuff fit in a 5-gallon bucket (had to turn the a-arms over a couple times).

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu

www.wright.edu/~adams.6/chevy.htm
TEAM Chevelle Member #0086
Genx member (Founder 4 Ohio)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Muratic acid is just a 10% hydrochloric acid solution. If you can't find it at a hardware store, try a pool supply place. As a side note, you probably should rinse with water to neutralize after soaking.

------------------

·
Registered
48 Posts
if you've alreadty sandblasted the parts to bare metal, a good self etchiching primier then paint, por15 works on metal that's rusted and stops the process, por15 also sells a product called metal ready that puts a zinc phosphate coat on bare metal and etches the metal making it ready to paint.

------------------

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
So if I have a rusty frame, I don't have to sandblast it if I use POR-15? I thought that all I have to do is remove the flaky rust and then apply it. Would this work? Thanks.

------------------
1970 Chevy Custom El Camino aka Kaileigh
Green Mist & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top
350ci/300HP 4bbl & Factory Dual Exhaust
Non-SS with Factory Rallies!
TH-350 Automatic - 2.73 Posi Rear
My El Camino Home Page - www.dreamelectric.com

[This message has been edited by Shawn (edited 12-26-1999).]

·
Registered
151 Posts
Shawn, I recently did my frame 69 ss chevelle, I stripped it with a wire brush wheel/grinder, then I soaked the frame with POR Metal Ready and rinsed according to directions. After it dried, I coated with POR15 I sprayed two coats then applied a thrid coat with a brush, (spray helped me get into the hard to get spots. I then applied two coats of POR chassis black semi-gloss. I will say this it looks pretty, and I dropped a rather large wrench on it the other day and it didn't even leave a mark on the frame. As for weather durability I probably won't know for another year or two. unless I hit the lottery before then!!!Dusty

·
Registered
321 Posts
how does one dispose of the used solution?

what does the EPA say about it?

------------------
??michael j Team Chevelle Gold #77
70 Chevelle SS396 4sp, Fathom Blue/White Stripes - Canadian built

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input. I'm going to try the muratic. I work for Lowe's, so I'll check out the stuff. Thanks again.

·
Registered
648 Posts
i've used por15 on my 69 as well, looks great and wears like iron. i did sand blast the frame first and then coated. be careful if your thinking of spraying, i understand you'll need an outside air source to breath. the only down side i see to por is it's sensetivity to light,but that shouldn't be a problem with the frame.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Hey Jon, Por 15 has several top coats you can buy that are not UV sensative if you are conserned but most people on this site haven't topcoated their frame.

------------------
Joe Y.
68 malibu
Bloomington/Normal, IL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.