Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the ignition switch in my 68'. I unscrewed the outer ring that holds it in, It unscrewed, is loose, but won't slip over the last little bit. It's on the dash, not the column. Anyone know how to finish it?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Need to screw the ring nut back down again. Next you have to remove the lock cylander. There's a small hole in the lock cylander. Put the key in and turn left to the ACC position. Insert something in the hole. I like a jewelers screwdriver but sometimes a paperclip works. Feel around, and you should hit the release button. Pushing down on that turn left past the ACC position. If everything works out the lock cylander comes out. Then you can get the ring nut off.

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
To the best of my recollection you will find a very small hole in the face of the switch. You open up a paper clip and put it in that hole and push the spring loaded plunger with the clip. With the key in the switch you will be able to remove the switch. I no longer recall what switch position is the correct position but the correct position will have a "spring" feel when you push in with the clip.
I think "accessory" is the position but you may need to experiment a bit.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Does this also apply to 65s? And if so, what must I do if I do not have the ignition key? Do I need to call a locksmith?

------------------
[email protected]
69 El Camino Non-SS 396 - 500,000 miles - daily driver.
65 Malibu SS Convertible - the new project!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The same instructions apply to a 65. Pulled the one out of my 64 by doing what I wrote. The 64 and 65 are the same.
*whispers in everyone's ear*
There is no way to remove any ignition switch without having a key. Your only choice is to use a licensed professional locksmith. Can't do handy hotwiring techniques. I had one car ripped off. Not a fun experience.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean. I had a 65 SS hardtop stolen.

If I take dash out, ignition switch comes out with, right? Would make it easier to take the dash to a locksmith than having them come to my garage..

------------------
[email protected]
69 El Camino Non-SS 396 - 500,000 miles - daily driver.
65 Malibu SS Convertible - the new project!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Years ago I bought an old 63 Chevy pick-up that the previous owner had lost the keys. Unlike some newer cars the doors and the ignition are keyed the same on your 65, right?. I removed the passenger door lock because it gets less wear. Took that lock to the locksmith. Easier than yanking the dash. Get 2 keys made.
Same thing has happened to a lot of the guys around here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help. I just fired up the motor last Sunday. Bought the car w/o motor and tranny and overlooked the ignition switch while I was working on everything else. Key was so worn out, I didn't even know it turned left til Johns' post and I wriggled it
Came out so easy, I started cracking up! Thanks again for the support.
Dan

68' Malibu
SB350
700R4

1 - 10 of 10 Posts