Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having quite a time removing the dash pad from my 1967 Chevelle. I've removed all of the screws from around the bottom, but the pad still refuses to budge. Are there clips holding it? Where are they? Can anyone tell me how to remove it?

Also, I'm still trying to figure out just what color my dash is supposed to be. It's black right now, but I found body color (Marina Blue) underneath the black on the very top of the dash. Go figure!

The car was delivered from the factory with a black interior and from what I can tell the factory painted the dash to match the interior. Cool. I can deal with that. However, the very top of the dash has me confused. Should it be body color down to the first seam or should it be black? Does anybody know?

------------------
Turbodog
1967 Chevelle
Houston, TX
Team Chevelle #505

·
Registered
56 Posts
Turbo,

I went thru the same nightmare on my 66. Pain in the but isn't it! Anyhow, there are several posts that go down thru the dash from the pad closer to the windshield. They're held on by the body nut type of fastener from the bottom side of the dash. You either have to squeeze up under the dash or take it out to get to them. I ended up taking it all the way out, so it was much easier. As for the color, I'm not an expert on it, but I believe it's supposed to be the same color of the dash. Hopefully someone else will help out on that one!

Good Luck,
Jake

------------------
Black 66 SS396 www.chevelles.com/feature/september99.html
Tubby's Drive In
members.xoom.com/Pgh_Knights/
Pittsburgh PA

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
Turbodog did you remove just the screws that hold the dash in. If so you need to remove the speed nuts that hold the pad on. They run across the front just above the dash screws.There also are two screws on the out side, one on each end.As far as your dash color not sure. Mine is all black. I have seen them painted the body color,top and bottom.

------------------
CFR.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 67 was originally marina blue. It is now a custom color. Anyway, the dash is original and black. I plan on replacing my dashpad in the near future (see my other post). So I'll be interested in seeing how you make out. The '67 Body by Fisher service manual indicates a total of 4 nuts underneath the dash and two screws on either side. I copied the following removal procedure directly from the book:
1. Remove windshield side garnish mopuldings where necessary
2. On "A" bodies (thats us), remove exposed screws on outboard ends of cover
3.Remove instrument panel cluster and glove box.
4.Working through cluster and glove box opening, remove attaching nuts and carefully remove cover assembly
5. To install, reverse removal procedure.

Note, 3 gets complicated since you have to lower the steering column a little.

By the way, the picture indicates that there is also a series of clips holding the pad to the dash--doesn't indicate how many. They are located along the same axis as the four studs.

Good luck.

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.