Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, maybe I'ts a stupid question, but is it hard to rebuild an internally regulated alternator? Don't i just need to replace the (brushes?) with new ones?

The alternator died slowely, for about 2 days, if I revved above 4k rpms, the battery light would go out, and the alt would work. First I thought it was just a loose wire going into the alt. Right now my car is parked dead about 35 miles away, so I need all the info i can before i go tackle it.

Oh yeah, and this is on my 'other' car, a 87 Accord. (wince) At least I get to drive the chevelle today!

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
If it were me, I'd just go to AutoZone and get another one. Change them out and be done. No guesswork, no broken housings, no doubt. Assuming that it is indeed the Alternator that's bad. Not cables, battery or something else. If it is indeed the Alternator, you should be able to put a charged battery in it and get it home, or to a parts store for testing.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
this is a tough decision
how far away is the car from an auto parts store
you will need to find out if the battery is dead too, it may need to be charged or replaced and the same with the alt
if it is close to an auto store you may want to pull them off and have them tested
if you can get the car started then check to see if it is charging with a volt meter (somewhere between 13 and 14.6v approx)
if it is charging the battery may be bad
if not then the alt
either way without knowing a honda all that well
there could be many different reasons
possibly a short or a bad relay or even fuse or breaker

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
It's very easy to rebuild a Delco SI internally regulated alternator. I've rebuilt a few of them. Most parts stores still sell the kits. I've also found them at the Farm and Tractor supplies.

I don't know what kind of alternator a Honda runs, but it shouldn't be much different. If you're gonna pull it off anyway, why not see if you can find a kit for it? I just can't justify spending money to replace something when I can repair it as good as new myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts