Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably just misreading directions, but has anyone done the Taylor SPIRO cut to fit wires? I've got the MSD crimper, so that's not the problem.

Do you crimp the connector and then try to slide it up into the distributor boot? If yes, any suggestions on how to get it up in there more easily? (I'm using lube.)

The directions almost read as if you put the boot on, then crimp the wire, but I've not figured out how to do that at all?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
6,741 Posts
Are you putting the boot on the wire, crimping the end on, then sliding the boot down the wire and over the connector?
Edit: I see you did say you haven't figured out how to do that, but that's it. You'll never get the connector through the boot trying to put the boot on last. Has to been done in order described above.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're doing exactly the way the instructions say, but that was what I couldn't figure out how to do. I assume you push the wire thru the boot enough to do the crimp.

On the HEI boots, I seem to be only able to slide the wire into the boot, but I can't get the wire out thru the boot to then do the crimping. The distributor boot is 90*, but I don't seem to be able to work the angle enough to pull the wire out of the boot. (I assume I'd then pull the wire with the crimped connector back into the boot?) What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
950 Posts
flye, Use the lube and push harder it will go through. Don't cut the wire for installation until you get it through the boot. Than you can grab the end of the wire with sme needle nose pliers ann pull it through. My MSD cutter did not go all the way through to the core. You can also try WD-40. When crimping make sure you make the 90 degree bends MSD recomments and place the W crimper tool on the closed side of the connector. Just did Taylor wires this weekend.

·
Premium Member
6,741 Posts
Originally posted by Flye:
You're doing exactly the way the instructions say, but that was what I couldn't figure out how to do. I assume you push the wire thru the boot enough to do the crimp.

On the HEI boots, I seem to be only able to slide the wire into the boot, but I can't get the wire out thru the boot to then do the crimping. The distributor boot is 90*, but I don't seem to be able to work the angle enough to pull the wire out of the boot. (I assume I'd then pull the wire with the crimped connector back into the boot?) What am I doing wrong?
You're not doing anything wrong, no one said it was easy. Push the wire into the boot, put a little silicon grease on it. Use a pair of needle nose pliers to reach in and grap the wire and pull it through. Depending on the wires and the boot it can be tuff to get them through but that's what you have to do. Then pull the wire back, try to help the connector along, pushing it into the boot, or you'll rip the wire off the connector.
Fun uh? That's why I bought pre-made.

·
Premium Member
19,928 Posts
If the boots are 90 degree, put just a little silicone spray (or WD40) on the wire about 2"-3" from the end and liberally spray the inside of the boot. You can bend the boot a bit to straighten it out as you push the wire through. I use nothing but universal type wires and while it seems a hastle (and it is) to get the wire through the boot initially, you'd never it through the boot with the connection already crimped on.

Once you get the wire through the boot, you may have to spray a bit more on the wire not through the boot yet to continue as the boot (if it's any good at all) will scrape the lubricant off as you push the wire through.

Do the longest wire first (usually #1) and route it the way you want before cutting and installing the distributor end. You can always 'hide' an extra inch or two of wire but it's awfully hard to stretch one if you cut it too short.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts