Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking off Carb, Intake for first time. I forgot to "spot" crank engine to get distributor lined up to # 1. I have already drained oil and ready to pull HEI ignition, rotor etc.

Everyone has scared me so much, I am almost afraid to continue. I marked the steel Casing of Distributor to the Intake in 2 different places. I also marked the black Casing to the Steel casing.

But I don't know what to expect when I actually do this. Can someone comment please. Also, if I totally mess this up and do not install back the same way....what are the consequences.

This feels like my first time in backseat with my first girlfriend, scared but excited at the same time. Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Ok, it really doesn't matter where the distributer/rotor is pointing. What's important is that you know where it was before you pull it out. As long as you haven't loosened the distributor, you are home free.
Mark all the wires with something like masking tape. Put a number on each wire. As long as you write down some notes on where you pulled them from it's not bad. Mark the distributer cap where the wires came from.
After you have done that remove the wires out of the way, leaving them attached on the spark plugs.
Next loosen the screws holding the cap on. There are 2 for a points cap or 4 for a HEI cap. The cap only goes on one way so don't worry. It has a notch on it that fits into the distributor.
Peak under the cap at where the rotor is pointing. Try putting on the cap in place and taking it off again until you are sure where it it pointing. Once you are sure, mark the cap with permanent ink or a paint line.
The engine won't move changing the intake but the distributor will when you remove it. When you reinstall the distributor (after changing the manifold) you must line it up on your mark again.
Important things
1, Take written notes & draw pitchures.
2, Mark your wires & distributor before removing the wires.
3, Mark the rotor position on the cap before loosening the distributor. Use something permanent.
4, Be sure of the mark you make. Check it several times by fitting the cap back on.
5, Don't turn on the engine and move it with the distributor out.
Only you will be able to align the distributor up again. With good notes and marks it easy.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John, Thanks for your "detail". Very good explanation. I think I can do this now. You are very good, you explained this in a way even I can understand. thanks, again, Dave

·
Premium Member
8,511 Posts
Dave,
John,great advise,also to add to this. You said you marked the intake in two spots,but if you swap intakes you'll lose your marks.If you
Haven,t pulled the dist yet, crank it around so the rotor faces the firewall (sheetmetal behind engine) use a screwdriver as a pointer and make a chalk mark on the firewall. Dist will rotate slightly as you lift it out of manifold, make a note of this to aid in reinstallation. You'll still have to set the timing .Have fun

·
Registered
127 Posts
Dave, when its back together you can bring #1 cylinder up to top dead center and see if the rotor points to #1 wire on the cap. I also don't drain the oil until its back together. That way the old oil carries out any garbage that fell in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts