Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1966 El camino and just bought a EXIDE group 24 battery.I have seen different topper and decal but not sure what is best.Was the OE battery a DC-12, is the caps yellow with black letter or black with yellow?Anyopne have some good pic of ones done? What sticker are correct? Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,456 Posts

I was going to get one of the plastic covers but instead I just found a black flat top battery at Batteries Plus and then pulled all of the brand name stickers off of it. It is a good compromise.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
The '66 battery was a tar top (last year) Delco DC-12 with black caps saying DELCO with yellow lettering. No decals on top. I have no experience or advice re toppers.

Greg

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,638 Posts
:cool: The toppers are similar in appearance to the real thing. On my topper I had to move and enlarge the holes slightly so the holes were centered on the posts. I used carpet tape to attach it to the battery. The only issue now is if someone (body shop, etc.) needs to remove the battery they may rip off the cover midway through the process and drop the battery on the fender or their foot, etc.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
I use a Walmart Everstart battery with the decals removed.

Reactions: Bandit1978

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The EXIDE group 24 is a flat top and fits a topper

I Have a topper but it has yellow caps and is a smooth top. .
I found another one that I think looks more like a tar top but also has yellow cap. see photo.
Also did they hace the cap with the green eye?

Attachments

·
Registered
989 Posts
The green eye thing came out way later on when the batteries were semi non refillable for lazy people...
You could still pop off the tops and refill with distilled water. Now most are sealed and use an acid gel.

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
I’ve got a battery topper on my 69. I once had a guy tell me he voted for my car at a car show because it had the correct battery in it. I didn’t have the heart to tell him it was an illusion.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The one with the yellow cap from Ground Up looks more like a real tar top to me, Biut the one from OPG has the correct black caps from what you all are saying?. what you all think?

·
Registered
293 Posts
blm, I have the same topper on my 69. It has fooled a lot of people. When I tell them they are surprised.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
Ours are easy, the 66 and prior are tar tops. Not so much.

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
I’ve got a battery topper on my 69. I once had a guy tell me he voted for my car at a car show because it had the correct battery in it. I didn’t have the heart to tell him it was an illusion.
:cool: People see what they want to see.

I see a topper...

·
Registered
989 Posts
:cool: People see what they want to see.

View attachment 713813

I see a topper...
If that is a topper did you drill and insert the transparent lens into the lazy eye cap? The topper has a red dot where they eye should be...or is that in fact a real battery?
I was thinking of doing just that though with the topper should I get one....placing the eye where it should be.

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
If that is a topper did you drill and insert the transparent lens into the lazy eye cap? The topper has a red dot where they eye should be...or is that in fact a real battery?
I was thinking of doing just that though with the topper should I get one....placing the eye where it should be.
:cool: That's a topper. I bought the Delco Eye off eBay, not to mention the other eye candy that completes the illusion.

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
Mine has the green eye also. Don’t recall buying the clear lens but guess I did. I do recall putting a paint sample card from Home Depot under the clear eye so it had the green color.

Reactions: NickeyChevelle

·
Registered
98 Posts
:cool: The toppers are similar in appearance to the real thing. On my topper I had to move and enlarge the holes slightly so the holes were centered on the posts. I used carpet tape to attach it to the battery. The only issue now is if someone (body shop, etc.) needs to remove the battery they may rip off the cover midway through the process and drop the battery on the fender or their foot, etc.
Ouch.
Yea, definitely make sure they are aware of the disguise.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts