Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title sums it up. Every time I close the door it moves and points towards the ground. The ball socket is worn out and not providing enough friction. Anyone know of a way to keep this from happening so I dont have to readjust it every time I get in the car. Thanks, Brett :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
8,639 Posts
I just had a thought---- Do you have a spring loaded centerpunch? Is it possible you could put some punch marks on the ball end to hold it. Never did this, Its just an IDEA!!! Bob

·
Premium Member
7,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I just had a thought---- Do you have a spring loaded centerpunch? Is it possible you could put some punch marks on the ball end to hold it. Never did this, Its just an IDEA!!! Bob
Not a bad idea, how do I get the ball out though? Or do you think I can just pivot it to reveal a part that is normally hidden, punch it there, and then rotate it back in place to give the added hold? I will look into it, any other suggestions out there?

·
Registered
155 Posts
crazy....i have got the exact same issues, with both mirrors....original 40 yr. old stuff, but i want to keep them....when i got the pair, the sockets were kinda corrody & stiff, so, with out thinking first....i gave 'em a shot of deep creep....what a dumb***.....they move good now!!!....for now, as a fix that can last a few weeks, if ya remember not to re-adjust ,...is get them where ya want them....dab some superglue gel on 'em....till i find a better idea........

·
Premium Member
7,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
crazy....i have got the exact same issues, with both mirrors....original 40 yr. old stuff, but i want to keep them....when i got the pair, the sockets were kinda corrody & stiff, so, with out thinking first....i gave 'em a shot of deep creep....what a dumb***.....they move good now!!!....for now, as a fix that can last a few weeks, if ya remember not to re-adjust ,...is get them where ya want them....dab some superglue gel on 'em....till i find a better idea........
True, a drop of super glue might do the trick, or maybe move it to an extreme position, get some silicone on it, then put it where you want it and let it dry.

A little corrosion could definitely do the trick, Ill just sprinkle salt and water there right? jk :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
yureaka!!...thats it!...i'll just remove them from the car & let them sit out down by the beach...boohahahh!.......i'm starting to think epoxy soon....its the little things that just bug ya sometimes

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
On mine I set the mirrors where I wanted them, then put a small amount of loc tite on the ball sockets.....no more problems.

I'm sure they could be broken loose if you tried to but atleast now the vibrations of the car don't wiggle them loose.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I have done the "punch marks" on the edge of the ball. The trick is to rotate the mirror away from the car, make punch marks, then rotate the mirror back into position. You won't see the marks. And I am talking "small marks", Don't go overboard.

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
I was thinking that a slight dab of RTV may hold enough tension to keep it where you want it. Wont glue it in place but stays movable so it isnt permanent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts