Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I just bought a disk brake conversion kit for my 67 chevelle and it came with a proportioning valve, but with no instructions on how to install the proportioning valve. Can you guys give me some advice on how to install it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
It goes in the line to the rear. If your car has a proportioning valve it will go after that valve.

Start with it wide open and adjust downward until the rear brakes don't lock until just before the front ones.

With the disks up front and the weight transfer that occurs under hard brakeing, you will find the back brakes lock up real easy without one.

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

·
Registered
262 Posts
I assume that you have an adjustable aftermarket Valve and are not looking for originality, just a professional installation. If so.

The valve should be installed in the line going to the rear brakes. There should be nothing between the valve and the rear brakes that would change the line pressure to the brakes. Typically the valve can be mounted below the master cylinder. The line from the master cylinder will go to the valve then out of the valve to the distribution block on the frame rail. They recommend that the valve be secured to some thing sturdy rather than just letting it hang on the brake line. A good way to do this is to fabricate a small bracket and bolt it under the master cylinder by using the master cylinder to diaphragm studs.

I have mine installed this way and it seems to work great. You will have to spend some time adjusting the valve. I adjusted mine by doing several hard stops on a dry hard surface. I started with full line pressure to the rear brakes and the rears locked up early. I backed off on the adjustment with the goal being to have the rears lock up just prior to the fronts. As I backed off the adjustment it became more and more difficult to lock up the rear brakes until finally I can almost not lock them up at all. A full on panic stop in my car will not lock up the fronts and rears just start to "skip" a little. (and my face is plastered to the windscreen)

Hope this helps.

Clark

·
Registered
262 Posts
Rob

It my situation the line comming from the master cylinder to the prop valve is the same size as the line from the prop valve to the rear brakes. The size of the fitting at the master is bigger than the fittings on the prop valve but all this requires is the correct B-nut on the line.

The different size fittings should not be a problem. If the diameter of your lines is different that should be OK also. Just make sure that everthing mates together properly and doesnt leak under pressure.

Clark

·
Premium Member
19,960 Posts
Just curious, but who did you get your disc brake kit from that came with no instructions? I'm getting ready to do my 67 as well and every article I read about Master Power Brake says they include all instructions.

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92
ACES #1709
www.dalesplace.com
Restore it or customize it, but drive it and enjoy it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dale McIntosh:
Just curious, but who did you get your disc brake kit from that came with no instructions? I'm getting ready to do my 67 as well and every article I read about Master Power Brake says they include all instructions.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got my disk brake conversion kit from Stainless Steel Brake Co. They provided instructions on how to install everything, except for some odd reason did not have instructions on how to install the proportioning valve.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your response guys,
But I just had one more question I read on an article online that "The adjustable proportioning vale can be installed anywhere in the front to rear brake line as long as its after the factory proportioning valve and befor the rear flex hose."

And it says "The best place to install a brake proportioning valve is after the distribution block. DO NOT INSTALL IT BETWEEN THE DISTRIBUTION BLOCK AND THE MASTER. You wil not able to get a hard pedal. Any where after the disribution block and before the rear flex house."

Have you heard this or had any problems since you put yours between the master and the distribution block.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.