Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and read all the posts on gluing but am curious as to how you hold a qtr skin on while glue sets; not going all the way to the top, just about 10-12 inches up?

Thanks - Duff

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
ditto on screws

·
Registered
14 Posts
Clecos are one of the coolest inventions ever, and do work good on mocking up pieces and holding them for glue to dry. They also won't distort the panel like a screw that is in too tight. But for the price screws are hard to beat. Make sure that after you are done you pull all the screws out and fill the holes with glue, don't weld the holes it will heat the surrounding glue too much and it will let go. Also when you are finished put a light coat of Evercoat "Kitty Hair" or equal product around the entire glued area, if there are and voids or air pockets in the glue this will stop moisture from coming through unlike normal plastic body filler. good luck with your install, gluing is one of the slickest methods i've tried so far.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
I can't believe I forgot this.

A buddy helped/taught me some things on sheet metal work. We used adhesive on my trunk replacement. He showed me using rivets. Once the glue sets up just grind off the heads. Then there's no need for filler. Lightly grind off though, don't let the metal get hot. Overheating the panel and glue will cause the glue to release, as mentioned above.

I will always use glue where I can. I am very satisified with the results.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never heard of clecos???

I do like the idea of screws and after removing them, put in glue, then use evercoat.

I would think after the rivits were grinded, that you'd have a higher level of filler but I may be wrong.

All good suggestions as always... The main goal is to cover all the bare metal so moisture can't build up.....

Thanks everyone.

Duff

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Well actually with the rivets, after you grind the heads off. The bodies are glued in place. There are no holes to fill.

·
Registered
623 Posts
clecos were invented i think for aircraft skins (i used to be an aircraft mechanic) and there great on aluminum. the rivets are aluminum also. good for grinding them off. or drilling them off (aircraft rivets have a divet in the head for drilling off). cool little things...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.