Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building an 832 sq. ft garage w/ 12 foot ceiling. How would you suggest I heat/ cool this thing? Any other tips on any building advice would be apprec. OK, I know its a little off the subject but my Chevelle will need a new home when it comes back from the resto shop

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I had the same problem, I just built a shop, and didn't have a clue as to what to heat it with.I found a co-worker that had 2 kerosene "Perfection" heaters.He sold me one and gave me the other.Total cost:$35.00 I talked to the guy at the fuel co. and he said he could supply a tank, set it for free, and keep it filled up for me.I would have to run the lines.They are vented units, so I'll need 2 holes in the wall for the flue pipes.He sold them to the guy originally, they are 3 and 7 years old respectfully.Found a 4 ton A/C unit for the summertime heat also, it's got a ' 96 date on it.Just have to get it hooked up also.It was $20.00.Bought it out of a condemned shopping center,they charged the $20.00 to get it off the roof of the building for me!

------------------
' 72 Malibu project ACES # 1282 Team Member # 427

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I got a Miller Hot air unit from a mobil home. got a 250 gal tank and put up a gal/tin pipe. Works great I have a 24x44 ft shop and 10ft high. Glad to hear you went to 12ft a big mistake on my part.
The unit is kept at 55deg and only takes about 1/2 hr to rise the temp to 70deg.
i need to glue on 1 1/2 in foam on the two steel doors and were all set for the Winter To come.
Wayne Kline
ACES TC NCOA

·
Registered
339 Posts
I use a regular house fuel oil furnace. These are pretty easy to come by as people are upgrading to high eff. units nowadays. Check around local HVAC places for a good used one. I just put it in the corner and make a simple plenum that blows right off the top of the furnace. I put in a smaller nozzle and adj. the air to suit since it was oversized somewhat. Just flip a switch.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I can see a long thread here and I think it's well worth talking about. However we should probably use the "Bench Racing" forum. @ work & breaks over will repost later

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60E trans
"Canyon Carver"

Susp: Neg. Roll

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm with cardiac... This is gonna be a long thread.

I would suggest that you put at least two ceiling fans hooked to a seperate switch so that you can move the heat down from the ceiling. In the summer you can also keep the air moving around the shop. BTW: It's my "doghouse" so I like it comfortable. All I need now is a dish and a 46" big screen TV for the races

------------------
The proud owner of a Canadian 64-SS with ZZ4 Power!
Chesterville, Ontario, Canada.
Team Chevelle Gold Member #37
Canadian Classic Chevelles & Beaumonts Member #350

WebSite www.magma.ca/~ssoltesz/steves/1964.htm

·
Registered
38 Posts
Heat the floor! Put the tubing in the floor before you pour it. Then locate the furnace in a shed outside - or get one of those wood burners that sits outside. Then you can paint all winter.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I built a shop last summer and needed to heat about 1400 sqr. ft. I called an old high school freind that has his own HVAC shop and he sold me a used 4 ton heat pump for about $350.00 I added about $25.00 worth of plywood, conduit, wire and such and now I'm toasty in the winter and nice and cool in the summer. But whatever you decide to do don't forget to insulate. I helps more than you can imagine.

------------------

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Almost, if not more, importantly is that you insulated it well. The best heater in the world won't do the trick if you've got a draft coming in thru the door or windows.

Then again, you live in TN....What do you need to heat it for? It doesn't get cold there

Kurt, still having flashbacks to the Winter I rewired a VW in an unheated garage.

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/~68_chevelle/Chevelle/Info.html
Email: [email protected]
T.C. Gold #6
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Administrator
16,196 Posts
I would go with the heated floor. Run pipes in the concrete to circulate hot water, water can be heated by any kind of fuel. If you plan on working in the winter the warm floor makes it much nicer.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Lakeside, AZ
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

R

·
0 Posts
Don't know how cold it gets where you are, but I have a 600 square ft. garage, and I use a 75,000 BTU Lennox natural gas heater. It heats up the shop from -30C (-22F) to +15C (59F) in about 5 minutes. I have it well insulated, so it only cycles for about 10 minutes per hour. I am going to wire a switch to the house so that I can "pre-heat" the shop before I go out there.

RH

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you have access to Natural Gas, use it. By far the most efficient way. I use a 75,000 gas heater that hangs from the ceiling. Works great.

------------------

·
Registered
738 Posts
Michael, here's an idea...before it's too late, just build your shop in Houston and your heating woes will be over - for good!

PS: Thanks to all of our Canadian bretheran who so graciously sent cool Canadian air down to south Texas - we like it!

------------------
'70 Malibu - 383 'Fog Fed' Stroker! Houston, Texas Gold Member #39
Chevellz Alwayz!

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I have been many years in heating/air conditioning business and have some suggestions. Be aware of your local building codes. I dont know where you are from but in my area you have to be carefull. Many of the overhanging gas heaters are not approved for residential applications. Propane or wood heaters are frowned upon by insurance companies and gives them the only excuse they need to raise premiums. Whatever you end up with make sure its properly and safely installed. Dont give your insurance company reason to void coverage if you would ever need it. Enjoy your warm garage this winter playing with your car and waiting for spring. Thats what I will be doing!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can't help but jumping onto this one. I live in central Vermont, and get 90% of my heat for my home from burning wood in a wood stove. A very small stove would heat that small space like you can't believe. Should be able to scrounge enough wood throughout the year to have no cost for your fuel. In a insulated garage, you would'nt use a cord of wood per year.

------------------

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
i'm a short-timer chevelle owner...old time furnace guy. you must be carefull venting whatever you've got spitting out btu's in your garage/shop,(other than the heatpump)if yer burning wood/oil you need 2100* rated chimney...if natural or lp gas you need b-type gas vent(much less $$$)Modine makes a nice,small,gas fired unit heater..15"-18"tall,mount it to the ceiling,vent it thru sidewall,little gas pipe and wiring....ok,maybe calling a furnace guy would be in order.you keep focus on the velle.there is also a small residential type radiant heater that bolts to the wall.(no vent or elect.)heats objects not air-$350-$400.good for the inslation challenged.call a heating dealer,some of us even own chevelles.keep warm this winter all! later..jim

------------------
'66 ss 396/325 pg

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you have yet to pour the slab, in-floor heat is the only way to go!!! As someone said earlier, locate the boiler outside, and you can sniff all the fumes you want without blowing up! I know at least 5 guys who have put this system in and would never do anything else again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.