Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I RECENTLY BOUGHT A 68 CHEVELLE WITH NO TITLE TO RESTORE AND IT HAD NO TITLE. IS THERE ANY TRICKS TO GETTING A REPLACEMENT? THE TAG OFFICE HERE SAID THE LAST PERSON WHO HAD IT IN THEIR NAME WOULD HAVE TO APPY. BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHO THAT IS. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

·
Registered
283 Posts
What state? Go to the public library and get the vehicle laws and read up. The people at the DMV are goverenment employees and they are not there to help you, unless you are paying for something. Here in Texas it's pretty simple if you fill out the forms and get the last owner to sign. However if you cannot find him or he won't sign then you just bought a parts car. Find a good body and start transfuring.
Harley
Note:
In some states vehicle owner information is public information and they can't keep it from you, they just won't volenteer to "help" unless you are informed. Also you might try your insurance agent. There is allways a way knowlege is power.

[This message has been edited by Harley (edited 08-20-99).]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Call this number 1-800-464-3222 , Broadway Title in Alabama. If its not stolen they will get you a legit title, I think it cost me 125.00

·
Administrator
16,204 Posts
James, There are probably several ways you can get a clear title from the state of OK. If the vin has been removed or altered it may be harder but still possible. Here in AZ the MVD makes house calls. I applied for a bonded title and since the vehicle didn't run they came to the house. It was inspected, they handed me an inspection sheet which I took to the office and a new title was issued on the spot. Cost was $100. Other processes here are called abandoned and lien, either for storage or repairs. Do some research and choose the best option that fits your situation. Your options there should be similiar.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I know you don't want to here this but;

Never buy a vehicle without a title, unless you are going to use it for a parts car and junk it.

Here's an example of what can happen even amoung friends, I am not trying to scare you but anything can happen.

A very good friend got screwed over the same deal several years back. He bought it from a guy how bought it from a guy. The person who sold him the car never completly paid the other off. That person wanted the $500 owned him (balance of $2000 sale price) before he would give up the title, he reclaimd the car thru small claims court. The guy who bought the car, the guy who had owned the car and the one who sold it without the title all knew each other. My friend ended up setttling and paying the original owner the $500, he then sold it because he was sick of the whole situation.

[This message has been edited by elcamino (edited 08-21-99).]

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just called Broadway Title (It is Sat AM, surprise, someone answered) and they are sending out an information packet. We'll see what it looks like email me if you want more details later next week.
John Walker

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well thanks everyone for your advice. i called broadway title and they are sending me a packet that they say will help me. either way i'm not out much though, i only payed $25 for the car. my freinds dad died and he needed to get it off the property so i jumped for it

·
Registered
51 Posts
hey James
If any thing you can go to somewhere like atlanta Ga have a friend write a bill of sale this is not a title state they give you a form and any other state will issue you a title off of that. they are known as the clean up state.Any help needed let me know.

------------------

·
Registered
75 Posts
This depends in which state you live in. THe first thing to do is have the documentation, like a bill of sale. The most important thing is the VIN #. This has been the preferred method in vehicle registration, in which the VIN often appears on both the vehicle title and registration receipt.

If the vehicle is purchased from the previous owner, this is a risky situation. A bill of sale isn't likely, and this makes re-titling a motor vehicle a PITA. The state will need several documents, and before the vehicle owner sells the car, have him/er fill out a lost/duplicate title application.

Wrecking yard property is a nightmare to re-title, since these vehicles are marketed as reconstructed vehicles. This affects resale value, and reflects high depreciation.

------------------
Quark
descendant of a former Chevelle owner
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/lonestarclassics/acar.html

1969 Chevelle Memories Page
http://members.tripod.com/~seributra_d/time_and_memories.htm

Chevelles (and A-cars) On Screen
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/5196/a_car.html

Disco-Era Classics
http://homepages.go.com/~55498/hooptie.htm

·
Registered
85 Posts
Guys SORRY for such a long post, but it IS relavant for anyone thinking about buying or selling a Chevelle (or something else) in Oklahoma.

james326, This is Len, I'm from near Tulsa, OK. I've done probably 50 title searches just in Oklahoma alone.

I just sent off and recieved (last week)complete title history for 12 of my cars (some are just bodies) I did this because someday REAL soon, Oklahoma may not allow this anymore... (see the post referred to).

Anyway. If the '68 you have, still DOES have it's V.I.N. plate (serial number). Write it down and mail it to the address listed below. Send with it a $1.00 cashiers check, money order, or personal check (don't send cash).

Right now all you want to know is if this car was EVER registered in Oklahoma. Ask them to send you a copy of the LAST registration for this vehicle. A REAL friendly Tag Office person MIGHT look up the V.I.N. on the computer if it's not been TOO long ago that the car was LAST registered.. if it's been too long, you'll have to write the Oklahoma Tax Commission and they'll look up the old records on Micro-film.

Later, if you want to know about all OTHER prior owners, you can request that as well. It costs just $1.00 per page mailed to you.

I've bought a few cars from out of state, and brought them into Oklahoma to register. Believe me, it will cost you FAR LESS to find out the name of the previous Oklahoma owner and go that route, than to get a title from one of those out of state sources some of the guys on this site are talking about.

Those places will charge anywhere from $75 - $175 for creating an OUT of STATE TITLE,

THEN the state of Oklahoma will sock it to you when you register it in Oklahoma.

Oh yeah, and THEN Oklahoma will really wonder why you have a ALABAMA or GEORGIA title when they show the vehicle is CURRENTLY registered in Oklahoma!! ??? They will then REALLY scrutinize that car. Might even have the Oklahoma State Patrol do some "checking" on it. (I don't have a problem with that, it's just "potential" trouble if somethings not legit about the car.. if there is, you've got BIGGER trouble than no title.

The last out of state car I just titled was a '66 Biscayne 2 dr sedan (big block)
from Albuquerque, NM and it cost me $140 for Oklahoma registration, taxes, plates, and title.

If you add that to the (possible) $175 you will be charged for a title from one of those title companies, you then have $315 in just title and registration. NOT very good.

If you go the route I suggest, what you need to do is find out that LAST persons' name it was registered in, locate them (e-mail me, I can be some help in this), and then do one of two things,

(1) have the person who's name it's registered in, file for a "DUPLICATE TITLE" which will be just as it sounds, a newly created title in THEIR NAME, and have them re-assign it into your name. It'll cost $17 for a "DUPLICATE TITLE". And then to put into YOUR name,

$40 - two years worth of tag fees $20 per
year (one year as penalty) since it's
tags are out of date.
$17 - for a new Title in YOUR name.

$?? and a couple of other misc. fees and
taxes.

All told about $100.

(2) a SAFER (for you) way if your tag agent will accept doing it this way (MINE WILL, I'VE DONE IT THREE TIMES) is to have the last person who the car was registered to, fill out a "NOTORIZED BILL OF SALE" just as though you bought it from them... you might want to give them $10 or $20 bucks for their time.

It needs both THEIR signature (notorized) and YOUR signature (notorized) for this to be acceptable to the Oklahoma Tax Commission. (It's been two years since I last did this).

What this does is two things... it gives you something immediately showing YOU as the owner of the car (maybe preventing the PREVIOUS owner from trying to do something "funny"), and it also eliminates the $17 charge for the "DUPLICATE TITLE" in the previous owners name. Which YOU probably should pay since YOU are the one wanting a TITLE.

OKLAHOMA TAX COMMISION
State of Oklahoma
Research/Corrections
2501 Lincoln Blvd.
Oklahoma City, OK 73194-0001

Again, sorry for this freakin' novel.

Thanks, Len

our Website: sites.netscape.net/thebowtiegang/homepage

[This message has been edited by Len (edited 08-23-99).]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.