Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '70 El Camino and there is a rust hole about the size of an oblong quarter by the bottom bolt that holds on the steering box. The rest of the frame seems fine with just surface rust all over and rust flakes in some spots. Should I get a new frame or make use of what I have?? It doesn't flex at all like when I'm going around corners and stuff and there is no other holes in it.
Also, I noticed that the shock mount bolts are loose (where the shocks mount up to frame), is this dangerous? The shocks have obviously been replaced and there is only 1 bolt holding the mount in. Thanks a lot.

------------------
1970 Chevy El Camino aka Kaileigh
Green Mist #45 & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top
350ci/300HP 4bbl Small Block
Factory Dual Exhaust and Rally Wheels
My El Camino Home Page - www.dreamelectric.com
I hate rust!!!!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
The only fix I know of is to cut out the bad and weld in good. In your case, you will need to be sure the new hole ends up where the old one once was. To do this easily, mount the peice that was there(steering box?) using the other mounting holes and line up the repair patch with the corresponding hole in the(steering box?). Tack it in place and remove the steering box to solidly weld in place. A little gringing and some paint-good as new.
Loose shock mounts ARE dangerous!! They have a profound effect on handling and, when loose, you have no idea how they will react to road conditions from 1 second to the next. Fix them NOW! (My .02, sorry-hate to see anyone get hurt needlessly).
Bryan

------------------
'65 Malibu frame-off project(slow going!)
'70 C-20 Longhorn p/u (daily driver)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Shawn,
My 69 convertible's frame has a hole in the same spot as your Elky does, a couple of inches behind the bottom bolt hole for the power steering. It might have something to do with the fact that El Camino and convertible frames are totally boxed (unless this is a common problem, I don't know, I'm just kinda thinking out loud here). I have my frame out being stripped at the present, but when I get it back, I'm just gonna weld a patch over it, grind it smooth, and POR-15 the whole thing!

Dave

------------------
Team Chevelle #373
ACES #3512
69 SS Convertible
community.webtv.net/DMBrewer/Daves69ChevellePage

·
Registered
29 Posts
Shawn,
I just checked out your website, and it appears the hole in your frame isn't the same as the one in mine. From the looks of the car in the pictures, you might be better off using this Elky as a parts car, and go find yourself a less rusted car to start with. No offense, but you will probably save yourself a ton of money in the long run if you got a more solid car to begin your project with. Just my opinion.

Dave

------------------
Team Chevelle #373
ACES #3512
69 SS Convertible
community.webtv.net/DMBrewer/Daves69ChevellePage

·
Gold Founding Member
1,349 Posts
I had the same problem on a 68 frame I never did fix but what I had planned on doing was cuttinga frame section off another car and cutting throught the weld where the two box half joins and spliceing them together Mike

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have to agree that you might be better off to use as parts car. Unless you are a VERY GOOD body man you have more work than I would care to tackle. But if you intend to fex er up than the best of luck to you. I am not trying to discourage you but you have a job on your hands. When the body is rusted that bad I have found that you have to go so far back on the body to find good metal to weld to that you can go forever. But good luck and keep us posted. Good luck; Slime

------------------
Steve

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I found a nice rolling chassis/body shell for $200 in Texas and I got pics of it and what I decided on doing is switching bodies and maybe using the new frame (unless there is a VIN# stamped somewhere on it).
I received parts from someone for the rusted body and I paid $230 on and all I got was a door jamb, pieces of a floor pan, and some other unusable parts. The guy who cut them out cut them out with an air chisel (or the jaws of life
) and they are so deformed that I cant use them. There was also several other parts I needed that he didn't send me and I specifically told him that I needed them. He was a 17 year old kid so I guess that's why. I'm demanding at least a 1/2 refund for the parts now. He's still selling parts on the TC parts for sale pages so watch out. If you want to know who he is email me. Just needed to get that off my chest

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mis-fortune.If he doesn't come through, let Al know, he can act as mediator.But as you know, it's buyer beware.There are a few bad apples out there, and they make all of us look bad.

------------------
1972 Malibu (1 st. car) Project waiting to happen
Team Chevelle # 427
A.C.E.S. # 1282

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.