Team Chevelle banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of bucket seats that I'm going to restore. Other than broken springs, how do you know if the springs need to be replaced?

None of the springs on my set are broken, but is there anything else that may indicate that the springs need to be replaced?

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Typically I would say if they are not broken don't fix em. However are the springs rusy at all? If so then I would clean them up as best you can and look for any signs of weekness. These springs are made of tempered wire and are pretty tough. My guess is if they are going to break they would have already.
If they feel week but are not broken a trick my upolstery shop showed me was to reinforce the side areas with thick heavy foam padding.
I think he used 3" or 4" thick padding. These edge or side areas are where the springs usually break.

Good luck!

FastSS396man

------------------
69' SS396 Chevelle
L78 396/375hp
M-21 Close Ratio
Cortez Silver
10 year Resto
It's brand new again!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help. The springs have some slight rust, so I'll claen them up. The seats just seem to really "squeeze" together when I sit in them. It may just be that the foam is old and tired!

·
Registered
543 Posts
there are kits to add reinforcements to the sides of the springs. A good upholstery shop should be able to help you out.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
When I recovered the buckets for my 71 I had to get another seat to replace the worn out drivers side(replaced with a pass. side seat that I changed the runners on) and replaced the foam with new foam from NPD. It made a world of difference, I had to get use to sitting up higher and it is a lot more comfortable.

------------------
Nathan Brandt
The more cubes the better!!!
70 SS 396
71 SS 454 clone 8.8 1/8 on pump gas and 8" slicks
Team Chevelle # 1143
My 71 SS 454 clone

1 - 5 of 5 Posts