Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:
After a bad oil leak, then a bad coolant leak, my engine needs some TLC. Should I just scrub it ever so gently with some engine cleaner? How about baking soda and a toothbrush? I have a lot of unprotected aluminum which has corroded some from the coolant.

What works for y'all?

Thanks for the tips.

[This message has been edited by Dave66 (edited 01-28-99).]

·
Registered
37 Posts
DAVE
I USE SOME STUFF FROM NAPA THE NAME ESCAPES ME NOW BUT YOU DILUTE IT 1 PART CLEANER 5 PARTS KEROSENE IT IS THE BEST CLEANER I HAVE USED, AFTER SCRUBBING YOUR PARTS IT IS WATER SOLLUABLE. I KEEP MINE IN A 55 GALLON DRUM AND HAVE ACTUALLY SOAKED COMPLETE BLOCKS IN IT THEY COME OUT AS WELL AS SOME OF THE BOIL JOBS THAT I HAVE PAID BIG MONEY FOR
THE NICE THING IS THE WATER WASH PART
I AM SURE YOUR NAPA DEALER WILL KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT
GOOD LUCK CLEANIG UP

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Dave, Another decent cleaner is Simple Green. You can spray it on undiluted, let it soak awhile and hose it off or you can dillute it and soak parts in it (saves some money). It is available most anywhere. I don't think it attacks paint so it should be pretty safe for your application. As a bonus, I think the stuff is biodegradable.
Tom

·
Registered
151 Posts
I use Gunk (brand name) to clean everything under the hood. You can smell it for about a hour afetwards when driving the car. I washes off with water. Spray a warm to hot engine.

·
Registered
548 Posts
For your intake I have use the spray cleaner for mag wheels and a high pressure washer,just don't leave it on too long gets rid of those stains.If the stains arn't too bad there is also one for painted wheels thats a little milder...FRED

·
Registered
28 Posts
Patrick is right. Gunk also makes a "foamy" cleaner also. You don't have to have the motor hot, and it works better, I think, than the regular Gunk. Both are good though, and won't harm rubber or plastic. Watch your paint and remove any over spray right away, with water, just to be safe. I've never had any bad experience on paint with either though. Give it a try. I think you'll like it. The regular stuff kills hornets and other "nasties" REAL quick too!!

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Patrick, One of the reasons I don't like to use Gunk on a nicely detailed motor is the oily film it leaves even after you rinse it. That smell you mentioned is the film baking on the motor. I haven't had a problem with Simple green damaging plastic. I use it regularly to clean my motocross bike, which is almost as much plastic as metal. I agree that the Gunk is better for cleaning really heavy greasey stuff if you don't mind cleaning off the gunk afterwards.
Tom

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tom, Try using the foamy Gunk. It doesn't leave anything behind but CLEAN! Let us know how you liked it. I've used it on me 55 HD panhead and my 69 SS Chevelle and a bunch of other stuff. Never had a residue from the foamy Gunk... or the smell!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have found that if you go 1 or 2 times a month to the local car wash and use the high pressure washer with just water this keeps you enging very clean then rinse with the spot free rinser. I then come home and polish the crome and wipe down the engine with a clean rag. I had a 73 chevy truck with a 454 when I sold it you could eat off the engine and it looked like it was just rebuilt, they guy could not belive it had over 100,000 miles on it. I just saw it the other day and it looks like crap I don't think he has cleaned it since I sold it to him about 2 1/2 years ago.

------------------
CRUISER

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have found that if you go 1 or 2 times a month to the local car wash and use the high pressure washer with just water this keeps you enging very clean then rinse with the spot free rinser. I then come home and polish the crome and wipe down the engine with a clean rag. I had a 73 chevy truck with a 454 when I sold it you could eat off the engine and it looked like it was just rebuilt, they guy could not belive it had over 100,000 miles on it. I just saw it the other day and it looks like crap I don't think he has cleaned it since I sold it to him about 2 1/2 years ago.

------------------
CRUISER

·
Registered
12,948 Posts
The best rinse is hot water. Your hot water tank has a faucet at the bottom where you can hook up a garden hose (use a good quality hose, the heat will burst a cheap hose). Use a squeeze handle nozzle also. Turn the tank up another 10-20 degrees and get the water really hot about 1-2hrs before you use it. Also, all hot water tank manufactures recommend that you use this faucet to drain the sediment out periodically for longer tank life. This is a good excuse.

------------------

·
Registered
982 Posts
I have a French Maid with a feather duster come by once a week.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.