Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks! Sorry to have to throw out another non-chevelle question- but there just arn't any other sites quite like this for the expertice...

My Oldsmobile has a blue convertable top on it- its kind of a woven nylon/vinal canvas type- so if you were to look at it looks like woven canvas but is nylon/plastic/vinal. The whole thing is covered in a light brown dirty color.

Click here to see the problem...
Dirty Convertable top
Its hard to see from the picture, but the top really looks bad in person...

No matter what I have tried so far I cannot clean it. I've steamed & scrubbed it at the local spray wash- looks better until it drys- then it is the same again.

Tried several rubber/vinal cleaners that were recommended. Again- looks clean for a little while then it dries out and looks dirty again.

How the heck can I clean this??? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Ben

------------------
Ben Rambow
1969 El Camino Custom
1968 Olds Delmont 88 Convertable
The El Camino Classics Club

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Give this a shot Ben, if it doesn't work then you may need professional help.

Get some "foam cleaner" like Turtle Wax Vinyl Top Cleaner or STP Tuff Stuff. Also, you will need a "semi-stiff" brush. Spray the foam on the top 'liberally', use the brush to spread it around a certain area (about 1/4 of the top), let it sit and soak for a couple of minutes, scrub it with the brush, then wipe off with a clean cloth.

If it is really bad you may have to repeat the process.

Good luck.

------------------
ACES #4241, TC #947
69 SS Sedan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.