Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car shakes really bad on the freeway, Ive been told that the tires are the reason. the tires are really bald but, my dad says hes never heard of such a thing. when I get on the freeway the car does not shake at first.
after I cruze a bit n the freeway the shaking starts.
could this be the bearing heating up or something?
or is it the tires heating up?

thanx
Justin

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Justin, Fred's right. It's gotta be your tires. If your bearings were that bad, you could jack up the front and "feel" the slop in the bearings by grabbing your front tire and moving it around. If you feel slop, immediately square it away. My bet is that you won't. New rubber will cure your shakes.

Go SABRES!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Jack up the front wheels one at a time,and grab the tire - shake it (pull with one hand, push with the other - alternating) side to side, then top to bottom. If there is lots of play or looseness,or some movement and a "bumping feel" (like slack somewhere) then there is a problem with bearings or the front end.
As far as the shaking,it is probably tires. Remember that bad shocks will let a little out of balance seem like alot.When you "bounce" the car up and down, it should stop on the first rebound.
Out of line belts in radials can cause shaking, but usually at lower to medium speeds.
If the tires are bald, replace them first, then keep looking (shocks, front end )if the problem keeps happening.

------------------
"Let me live in a house by the side of the road and be a friend to man, - with a garage and a smallblock Chevy"

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My wheels have a little bit of play in them, when their off the ground.
should I go for the next hole for the cotter pin?
would a tire only shake after driving for a min or two?
thanx for all of your help

·
Registered
13,036 Posts
To check wheel bearing play, grab the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock positions and rock in and out. If you grab at 3 and 9 o'clock, then the play in the steering linkage can be felt. If there's alot of play at 3 and 9, look for bad tie rod ends, center drag link, or idler arm.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Dave said what I was going to say a different way, getting the feel for the bearings and not the play in all the attached hardware is key. It's easier if you ever felt a sloppy bearing, but Dave give good instructions. I saw good 15 radial tires ( dunlops ) at discount tire on-line for $45. I think it might be time!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Justin, you not only said your tires are bald, but REALLY bald. Worn tires do cause exactly what you're describing. It sounds like you need new tires and balancing. Check the bearings while you're at it, but the bearings would have to be shredded to cause what you're describing and would have likely given you some indication that they were bad, like squealing or grinding or something (usually). I'm not saying the bearings or the rest of your front end isn't causing some of your problem, but for cryin outlout man! The tires are screamin at ya! Tell Pops not to be such a tight [email protected]# and buy you some skins!
At least replace the tires before you kill yourself! (Just kidding about yer Pops).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Justin, no one told you how to adjust the front wheel brgs.
Remove cotter key, tighten nut until snug while rotating the wheel, back nut off to the spindle hole. Rotate again to see if there is any binding. You will get some drag if your car has disk brakes. Install "new" cotter key. GET TIRES...Really bald scares me too.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanx for all your help, Ive got hte dough for tires but I just wanted to double check everything. so I can pull out of the tire shop and haul ass on the freeway, and not have to go home and fix something else.
thanx again
Justin

·
Registered
548 Posts
Justin the only way to check wheel brgs is to dis assemble and check them visually.If they are OK repack with fresh grease and adjust them as Patrick discribed...FRED

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.