Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cannot figure out how (where) they hid the access to the blower/fan motor on my 70 SS396 Camino. Has factory A/C, if that makes a difference. I thought it was probably under the right wheelwell housing, so I pulled a couple bolts, looked in there and didn't see a thing, is it in the big case mounted on the firewall (oh, I hope not)Pretty stealthy aren't they!!

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Mine is a 72 AC car. shouldn't differ much.

The big box on the wall is for one of the AC compenents, condensor, humidifier, whatever... The blower motor box connects to that guy and is "up in" the fender well attached tot he fire wall.

You can't have that AC firewall box without a clower motor box unless they CUT it off. Stick you hand up in there, you'll see it.

- I got mine out by just loosing the inner fender some, but I have skinny arms.

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,
1/8th: 8.2 @ 86.8mph
1/4: 12.7 @ 107.8mph (1.93 sixty foot)
--have pulled a 1.85 sixty foot (before street tires or course).
Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
pete
Its just to the left (outboard) of that "suitcase" for the A/C. Look to the left & under the hinge, you'll see a small 5" dia can sticking out with a heavy wire going to it. Thats it.
I remove the inner fender when replacing (twice) the fan motor. It can probably be done by just loosening the inner fender bolts towards the back, but I had no luck doing it that way.

FYI - Once you do get it out, look closely at how the squirrel cage mounts on the fan. You can reinstall the squirrel cage 180 out and it will look right, But I guarrantee that it won't run. The cage will bottom out at the back of the mount hole. BTDT.

------------------
Rick
72 El Camino
TPI350/700r4
TC#00038
ACES#00140

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help, looks like it is like other GM cars of the same era, a lot easier to change if the car is up in the air on a lift........but at least now I know where it is....Thanks!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts