Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anybody has any tips or tricks that they use to change these bushings. (other than just a big old hammer
)

------------------
Mark "THE DUDE" Skoch
1971 Malibu
"If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose."
THE DUDEMOBILE
(DUDE POWERED!)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Stick the bushings in the freezer overnight before instaling them. It will shrink them enough to help.

------------------
Mat Ellison
Lincoln, Ne
70 SS 396 Chevelle
62 Impala Sport Coupe
ACES #2424

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Drill the rubber out of the old ones, then hammer the metal sleeve out. As Mat said, put the new ones in the freezer - if you got the polyurethane ones, push out the polyurethane and keep that in the freezer while hammering in the new metal sleeves, then push the polyurethane in the installed sleeve.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Big hammer.

I used the freezer method also. If your doing the control arms also, be sure to support the open ends while banging on the bushings. don't want to collaps/deform them.

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,
1/8th: 8.2 @ 86.8mph
1/4: 12.7 @ 107.8mph (1.93 sixty foot)
--have pulled a 1.85 sixty foot (before street tires or course).
Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
As long as you don't have to save the old shells you'll have an easy time pushing them out with a air hammer chisel. The only way to go!! Mike, M22

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.